Team Chevelle banner

Added some parts from Langdon's Stovebolt

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Grammar Police 
#1 ·
Placed an order with Tom Langdon. The Chevelle is in garage jail for a month since I redid my driveway. Added a 36/32 DGEV 2bbl carb with a fancy air cleaner and cast iron ceramic coated headers.

Next I really need to find funds for a new offy or find a quality used one.

I got the linkage for the 32/36 carb all dialed in after a bit of modifying the stock setup. I flattened out the carb arm on the pivot device, drilled a hole lower than stock and built a custom rigid link. I had to straighten the throttle push rod to clear the headers and all is well.

The 32/36 Weber from Langdon's was perfect straight out of the box. Just needed to set the idler screw.

The inline 230 sounds like a beast with open headers. The Chevelle heads to the exhaust shop this fri.

Pretty happy with the setup now that it is all smoothed out.

See less See more
#4 ·
I am thinking of doing the same thing with my '70 Nomad....sweet!
But...I need too many parts like bell housing, intake and exhaust manifold stuff.

Ed

#5 ·
Thanks all.. It truly was a frustrating few days trying to dial in the linkage setup. I am thinking of pulling it all apart to help document it for others in the same boat. There was nothing on the net for this type of configuration.

I contemplated changing over to a throttle cable but struggled with the cost of a Lokar set up and getting too far away from stock.

If anyone needs to see better pictures to help clarify, now is the time to speak up!

I can't wait to hear the new exhaust setup!

#6 ·
That is cool! What are you running for choke activation? Do I see an electric choke? When I saw the chrome on your engine I was thinking you have a ’64 Chevelle – then I read your tagline. Cool car! Your ’64 230 has the hottest cam the factory used on the inline sixes, which is nice to have with the headers.

I have dealt with Tom Langdon and actually been to his place in Michigan.
He is a character. He seems grumpy but has a ton of knowledge.

I am going to have fun setting up the throttle for the twin carbs on my straight six since like yours, mine has the throttle rod, not the cable setup used on the 1968+ Chevelles. "Hello Lokar...?"

#8 ·
What are you running for choke activation?

Cam,I purchased the 32/36 DGEV - Running an electric choke.

Your ’64 230 has the hottest cam the factory used on the inline sixes, which is nice to have with the headers. [/QUOTE]

That is news to me... always learning about this car. Thanks for the tip.
I am going to have fun setting up the throttle for the twin carbs on my straight six since like yours, mine has the throttle rod, not the cable setup used on the 1968+ Chevelles. "Hello Lokar...?"
Pretty easy to do once you play around with the right location for the pull rod/linkage from the pivot to the first carb. Do you have the same setup as in the rod from the pedal/firewall pushes not pulls like the nova? Let me know if you want more photos. I have had the linage apart so many times I can do it blind folded.

I had to modify only two pieces from the stock setup and made one link.

The rod that pushed from the pedal/firewall was bent from the factory and did not clear the header. I straightened it out like a factory rod from an early vet and flipped it.

#7 ·
The pictures make the engine bay seem dirtier than it really is. Maybe a trip to the steam cleaner and a session of rattle can therapy is in order. :)

#11 ·
Changed out the radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing, added the Stovebolt heat plate and new positive battery cable.

Here is a short video capturing the open header before the appointment for a new exhaust tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/6rmf2lsZYJ4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.