Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench to Bucket Conversion Diagram

250K views 185 replies 74 participants last post by  1972malibu 
#1 ·
Here is a diagram and an animated series of 7 pics of a bench to bucket conversion...all provided by member Bryan59EC...

Perhaps Bryan can give us some detail as to exactly what he done...Excellent...Thanks Bryan!!!

See less See more
#157 ·
New question:

I got these brackets because I wanted to be sure the seats were in the correct positon and to take the spacer out of the front right corner of the seat frame. Also, I was hoping that the brackets and seat placement would give some clearance between the seat and seatbelt recoil near the sil plates.
All of the conversions I have read say to use the rear bench seat hole to locate the seat. If that is true, how does that give any more room next to the belt recoiler?

#158 ·
Dave---
This is what I tried to explain a couple of posts up.

If your car only has one hole in the back-----it is most likely in the same spot as the "INBOARD" hole of the earlier cars, and may have used the inboard hole on the bench seat track to mount the original seat. I am not positive about this---just a theory of mine.

Using the inboard hole of the seat track mounts the bench seat in exactly the same spot
as using the outer hole in the floor to the outer hole in the seat track of the earlier cars.

(Next time I am at a yard I will check a 69 Cutlass---maybe it has only one hole)

For mounting the buckets-----you would use the outer hole in the seat track.

You might want to remove the sill plate and scrape a bit of sealer from the area where the rocker is welded onto the floor.

If you get the same measurement as the one in the drawing posted earlier, then your single hole would be the inboard hole of the earlier cars.

Mount the outer hole of the seat track to this hole-----I found that using the outer hole
on my car (66 Elky) put the seat too close to (touching) the seat belt retractor (retractor from a 68 Buick Skylark).

>>>>>All of the conversions I have read say to use the rear bench seat hole to locate the seat. If that is true, how does that give any more room next to the belt recoiler?<<<<<

The bench seat does not hang over the seat tracks as much as the buckets-----also----there is no extra trim around the base of the seat to interfere with the retractor.

#159 ·
Brian, Thanks for putting up with me on this.

OK, went out and got the seats and carpet out.
Danged if I don't have two rear holes.
Also, because there was a bench seat in there originally, I have an outer forward hole also. So, there are 3. I had used the outer hole in the track to the outer hole in the rear floor. That used the fowrard hole also.
Ok, that is wrong. So, I am beginning to see the light here.
I got the 2 piece conversion kit. There is a single stud that gets welded to the floor. That is the front, left or outer mount and should be about 3/4 of an inch to the right of the bench seat hole, I'm guessing. The other piece with the studs gets welded to the floor nearest the tunnel.

right?

thanks

#163 ·
The links to the pics are broken..I'm trying to track down buckets for my 67, anyone know where I might be able to snag some. I've been checking craigslist daily for a month now.. I'm guessing mine had a bench, I don't know for sure since I bought it with no interior..It is a sport coupe (I think that's what its called) non ss, would it of had buckets in it you think?

#164 ·
You would be able to tell right off if it had buckets from the factory.

There would be a long bracket welded to the floor near the tunnel on both sides
and there would be a little standoff welded over the bench seat front mount on each side.

#170 ·
I installed my buckets today after removing the old bench seat.

I took a number of images that may help out other is the conversion bracket placement.

The seats are from a 68 Buick Skylark, they will need recovering and restored but wanted to get things in place.

Here's a link to the installation pictures

I have the same rocking issue. The only problem with you explanation of getting the one mount reversed is the seats came straight from my SS 70 and into my bench seat Malibu. What could be my issue?

#165 ·
I have a 72 Chevelle. This may be a stupid question, but I've looked at the pics in different posts and notice there is another bracket on the outer side of the seats. Just a small square bracket. I ordered the conversion brackets from Harmon's Restoration. And all that came was the long brackets that is nearest to the console. And its the one piece brackets. Is this a separate bracket I need to order or should it have came with what I already ordered?

#166 ·
There are a couple of different kits available to do this

one kit is just the long one by the tunnel------not correct
The other is the 4-piece kit that will include the front outer mount.

That front one not only raises the front of the set a bit, but the mounting bolt is NOT in line
with the factory hole.----Also need that piece to level the seat to the inside bracket.

#168 ·
There are a couple of different kits available to do this

one kit is just the long one by the tunnel------not correct
The other is the 4-piece kit that will include the front outer mount.

That front one not only raises the front of the set a bit, but the mounting bolt is NOT in line
with the factory hole.----Also need that piece to level the seat to the inside bracket.

DITTO, why do they even sell the single piece because when I did mine they said they were wrong and to buy the other 2 piece set HMMM

#169 ·
Yeh, I got the four piece and the front inner seat mount hovers in the air about a half inch. I did not get what chevelleman Sid about he reasoning for this. Any Input would be appreciated. I have a 70 chevelle with one anchor hole in the back and I am using the outer set hole on that mounting hole.

#171 ·
i am doing this conversion on my 67 malibu and i have read though all of this and think i have it figured out but i haven't been able to get Bryans original pictures to open up or the link to buick performance to open so i have none of the .measurements im in need for info on auto console install location as well. any help with them would be great thank you. Gilmore

#172 ·
AWWWW Man,

I thought I was going to be able to just bolt in my seats. Now I know better.

This sucks. I am so bummed.

#173 ·
Been doing a lot of research on those little brackets since there has been quit a bit of confusion as to where they are to be placed.

The single mount is supposed to go on the front-outer for the purpose of relocating that mount to keep the seat straight when using the rear outer hole in the seat track.

I didn't use the small brackets myself and now my seat belt retractor rubs on the side of the seat. :( (I remember that somebody told me that it would hit)

NOW, IF I were to move the seats over into the rear outer hole, away from the seat belt retractor, (I would have to remove and re-weld the long brackets to the floor) the seat would be at a slight angle unless I relocated the front outer mount by adding the small mounting bracket.

Does that make sense?

#174 ·
I ordered the brackets so I can see what all the fuss is about. As a welder, I am curious why there is so much fuss.
There are way more holes in my floorboard than I need, I know that. I have wondered why people didn't just drill holes and mount the seats to the floorboard and make spacers with washers and call it a day. But I know how people are and they want it to look factory.
So when I get them in I will see what I have and go from there.

Do the original seats use these brackets? I have read these threads and am still not clear so far.

#176 ·
Do the original seats use these brackets? I have read these threads and am still not clear so far.
Cars with factory bucket seats do use these brackets.

Early 66 cars used a different bracket near the tunnel that is not available, but some time mid year they changed to
the brackets (4 pc) that are being discussed.

#177 ·
Jeff,

I just spent the better part of Saturday reading every post I can find concerning converting my 66 Chevelle from a bench seat to a bucket seats. Your post with the two attachments along with Brian's explanation looks like what I am looking for.

I am unable to download or open the two attachments in your post, I am running Windows 8, which I hate. I attempted to download the files by by right clicking on the attachment and selecting the save as command. When I attempt to open the file I saved i get a message stating the file is damaged.

I was hoping you could post the a link to where the files are located and I could try downloading them from there or email them to bradhoward824@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance

#179 ·
ok there is so many different opinions im just confused i have a 1972 chevelle with bench seat i am changing to buckets i need to weld in new brackets befor under coating. i bought 2 piece bracket kit and had to modify so they wouldnt rock. now i here there is a four piece set that needs no mods. even with that, what exsisting hole do you use to properly weld the brackets on with so there is no interferance of the seatbelt and the seats sit in the correct position.:confused:

#184 ·
The pictures are no longer visible. Can someone provide the measurements on where the seats go? Has anyone fabricated their own brackets or does everyone buy the ones that are sold by the vendors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.