Team Chevelle banner

1971 chevelle ss identification

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  s5757s 
#1 ·
I have found what I believe to be a true 71 ss 454 car in need of total restoration.

My question is were any of the ss models produced with manual drum brakes in front ? I have always been lead to believe that all 70-72 ss cars & monte carlos had front power disc brakes ?

Its got the correct steering shaft (bolted rag joint) for a big block, F41 suspension,original front fenders with ss454 badges,original rear bumper with ss badge,bucket seat mounts on the floor,floor shift column,round bushings in lower a arms. About all I can think of.

Built in Van Nuys, Ca
Mulsanne blue with vinyl top

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks 70 ss 454

#3 ·
It is very interesting that someone went through all that work to "recreate" a SS and did'nt complete one of the most obvious change overs. Have you search the car for a build sheet? Under seats, carpet, door panels, gas tank, head liner, under dash ect ect ect...... I am currently restoring a 71 SS 350, if the car is not stripe delete, you can pull the bottom back window chrome trim and see if the strips continue down into the window channel. I have restored two 70-72 chevelles both ss and this was the case in both. Lets you know if the strips were painted on after it left the factory. But as stated before this still does not tell you for sure it is a SS unless you have the build sheet.
Hope this helps, Steve

#4 ·
What I think may have happened since the 12 bolt is gone too is that someone used the pdb setup for something else and replaced with manual drum brakes as they are alot more readily available and inexpensive to purchase.

Well anyway for the price I got it for I can't complain too much.

Thanks for the response

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.