Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mini Starter Issues

6K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Hi-po SS 454 
#1 ·
I bought one of those mini starters like the PowerMaster and it won't allow the car to run. It engages and tries to start, but won't run. The starter only has provisions for the Bat Cable to connect and the heavy gage purple wire to energize the solenoid. They say you do not need the yellow wire so they have no provision. I always thought the yellow wire that went to the "R" Term of the solenoid was what made the car run afhter starting. What am I missing here? The car has an HEI and new wiring from M&H Wiring that was setup for HEI. It worked for months with a normal GM starter with no issues.

#3 ·
Originally posted by al carson:
Mini starters are a joke-worthless and expensive.
Unless you are running Hooker super comp headers (1 3/4" primaries) on a small block. Then you need a mini-starter or you are not going to be cranking anything for very long.

BTW, we run Tilton on ALL our off-shore boats-I've never seen a failure. On my own car I had 1 fail after 6 years and it was one of the cheap no name brands. Hitachi starters are WAY more reliable than the junk OE style starters-thats why GM went to the Hitachi style about 6 years ago.

#4 ·
Mike, you should one wire running from the HEI cap directly to the ignition switch. If it is wired this way and still doesn't fire, there is something wrong with your ignition system.

#9 ·
actually the problem lies between the starter and the switch..if the starter doesnt have a resistor terminal the old style chevy switch will not work correctly.you either have to change the ignition switch or the solenoid.it will crank but will not provide ingnition spark in the start postion until you release the key to run..it may then start but is not correct,i went through the same thing.

#5 ·
Is it turning the motor over? When my mini starter to a <ahem> break it just got really slow, so much that I had issues trying to start a warm motor. As far as running the HEI unit should have 12 volts at the Bat terminal with key on and while cranking. For wiring at the Starter you only need two connections from the car. The Battery cable and the purple wire for the solenoid.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Big James 4XL:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by al carson:
Mini starters are a joke-worthless and expensive.
Not if you use a GM style mini starter! I know a good many pople, including myself, running them with no problems. </font>[/QUOTE]Exactly James!

I run a GM mini on my 540, 10.5 CR with the timing LOCKED out @37*...NO problems cranking that thing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.