Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

B&M Shifter in a Factory 69 Console?

23K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Slick71ss 
#1 ·
I posted this in the interior forum and did not get anything, so I thought I would try it here.

Has anyone put a B&M Automatic Rachet shifter in an 69 console?

I am getting a set of bucket seats soon and want to put a factory console in it, but I want to keep the Rachet type shifter.

Would it be better to put the rachet shifter in a manual console?

#2 ·
I will give you my opinion on this subject. I have a 69 chevelle that I put a BM mega shifter in. I would say in my opinion it would be better to loose the factory console all together. I"m not sure you can make the two look good together. Maybe someone else will post with there results. Goodluck!

#10 ·
Wildman / Walter is the hurst shifter a ratchet shifter like a B&M megashifter/ starshifter
your setup is exactly what i am looking for!

#13 ·
Anyone know if this is the 80683 shifter for the floor and then altered or is it the one for 73 up camaro consoles?
Of course sites like Jegs say that the 80688 wont fit my car but it looks like thats the one that seems to fit down in the factory console nicely in picture above.
Maybe he dismantled a 80683 and used just the top shifter portion and ditched the base??? Anyone know, I want this setup in mine.

Thanks

#17 ·
this is a great thread as i have been wanting to see some examples of this process, thanks all

#18 ·
I was going to go this route and retro fit a newer rachet shifter but opt'd for the 4 speed shift plate on the factory staple shifter. I havent gotten it all in yet... (just ordered my console and shifter). I will use the kit provided by:
http://www.shiftworks.com/chevelle-68-72.htm

#19 ·
Shiftworks makes a stock horseshoe shifter assembly that works similar to a Z-gate or Quarter stick shifter. Not a true ratchet, but will allow you to hit the shifter hard and still only shift one gear at a time. Wouldn't work with a reverse valve body though.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#20 ·
My '64 has very limited space for any aftermarket shifter. I tried a B&M Quicksilver, too tall. Finally went with a Hurst Quarterstick. Works great, Bent an aluminum mount to get the right height, the reverse lever has to be a little above the shift plate (it presses down 1/4" to release. The short stick doesn't look too "clunky".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.