Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reproduction Intake GM# 3933163 for Oval Port Heads

17K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Stokerboats 
#1 ·
Hello All:

This is my first post in the forums, but I've been trolling around awhile. I am in the process of doing a restification on a 1967 Chevelle convertible. It was originally a 136 car, but I'm cloning a SS. It currently has a remanufactured 454 under the hood. I'm planning to replace that with a ZZ502 at some point in the future.

In keeping with the theme of restification, I am trying to maintain as much of the stock style appearance as possible. I would like to use a reproduction 3933163 intake, but my current engine and the ZZ502 both use oval port heads. Is there a company that produces a stock-style intake, similar to this one, designed to work with oval port heads? If I can’t locate one, I’ll probably just use the rectangle port one widely available. I’m not really all that concerned with losing a few ponies, I just don’t want an obvious aftermarket intake with a dozen blocked off, unused ports everywhere.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

#5 ·
The manifold pictured above is likely a 66 360 HP 396 manifold. IT is cast iron and it accepts a Holley carb as indicated by the lettering up around the #2 and #4 intake.

THere are (were?) aluminum oval port hi riser mflds made for your application back in the day before all sorts of ports were needed everywhere. If you can find one of those you have another option. I think Wieand (Spell?) made the mfld I am talking about. Also I think perhaps Edelbrock made a mfld with the features you want.

As to the 163 MFld on oval heads. I have heard this before and heard that it works.....I have also heard that it doesn't work. Most recently I spoke to a guy who seemed very authoritative and he said it does not work. It "totally kills" low end perf when you use the Rect Port mfld on the oval heads according to his statement. I don't know if it works or if it doesn't and someday perhaps I will try this swap / mismatch. As it stands right now all I can say is that I have heard it both ways. I think that you can research this here on the forum. You might even find posts where I both supported and rejected the idea that this mismatch works. I have tilted back and forth on this idea working and I just have to prove or disprove it to myself one day.

#8 ·
X2 yes it does.
I have done the 'ole square port intake on oval port heads as well.
If you have NOT done this swap personally and still want say it doesn't work..keep your opinions to your self.I mean this with no disrespect.When it comes to stuff like this,experience with the actual situation/swap is what counts,not opinions on why it shouldn't work.

#10 ·
FWIW, All I will say about the sq. port manifold on oval ports is that I have that stock looking combo on the 063 heads in my 65 and it works great. No drop off on either end or in the middle of the RPM range on the 396. The heads will only take what they are designed to take - regardless of the bigger runners in the manifold. Theory has thrown out there that the port matching differential actually speeds up and mixes the air/fuel as good or better than a smooth transition.

#13 ·
I think he is looking for a 4 bbl manifold. There is only one BBC oval port aluminum manifold that I know of: that would be the 3x2 mflds used from 67 thru 69. The 67 mflds are the only hi rise oval 3x2 and are terribly expensive. 68 and 69 3x2 oval mflds were low risers.

#19 ·
Back in the 70's I had an aluminum oval port high rise intake which had both a Holley and a Q-Jet bolt pattern. It didn't have any mfg I.D. of any sort but it was a great intake in the day. I have never seen another one like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.