Team Chevelle banner

Adjusting Doors On 67 Chevelle

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  GRISSOM 
#1 ·
Putting Doors Back On Chevelle. Car Is In Primer Now And Putting Doors On Now, Kind Of Like Pratice Befor Paint. Doors Are Same Ones That Came Off Car. I Know There Is Play In The Hinge Bolts , That Bolt On Car And That Bolt On Body, Any Tips On How To Set Doors To Line Up With Body?seems Like Door Is In On Bottom At Back Of Door. Front Fenders Are Off Car
Thanks Skip

#2 ·
I'll offer this:

First and most important:rebuild the hinges, your wasting your time if you skip this step.

Second, if this is your first time hanging a door, you should practice more than once before paint.

Third: Once you've practiced installing, aligning, removing about 100 times and you're satified with the door placement, GAPS, etc., install the front fenders. With the doors and fenders in place you need to make sure the doors won't rub the fenders when you open the doors (this is also an important step). Once you have everything lined up and are satisified. Pull the front fenders off, keeping track of shims and where they go. The following step can be skipped but it's very handy. With the doors still mounted, drill a hole (1/8" bit) through the upper and lower hinges into the body. This will be your future alignment location using the aforementioned 1/8" drill bit as a guide.

Fourth: Paint the door jambs on the car and with the doors off, paint the edges completely around the door. Reinstall the door, then paint the rest of the car.

good luck

#3 ·
I agree with evrything ss1970chev454 wrote. When I add the doors I tape a couple of paint sticks on the sill to rest the door on so my bottom gap will be about right and it helps support the door while hanging it. You can get the door on the car with worn hinges but it is a waste of time as mentioned above since the door can move all around.

#4 ·
The only thing I disagree with is that you must rebuild the hinges. Many times that is the case, but not always, especially the right side which many times has only a fraction of the wear of the left side.

Lift up on the rear of the door while it is open. If there is quite a bit of movement (1/8" or so) you probably need to rebuild the hinges.

JMO

Brian

#5 ·
I agree with above, but one thing to add. Final alignment needs to be done with the doors fully assembled before drilling the hole. If you don't have a fully "weighted" door, you will most likely have to readjust to prevent the door from sagging when openned or rubbing the striker. This often is the case even with rebuilt hinges, although not as bad.

#6 ·
stick a 5lb weight inside the door when aligning to compensate for the weight of the internals and glass approx. Also one thing builders neve do is buy an extra set of door gaskets and install them to get a "correct" fit. You will have a hard time closing the doors after it is painted and they were set with out the gaskets. It is worth the money trust me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.