Refresh the 383, or build 406...or go bbc? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Engine AdvertisementGeneral Engine Discussion.

Old Apr 12th, 12, 11:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Default Re: Refresh the 383, or build 406...or go bbc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrodebo View Post
Assembled AFRs in that price range is doable. I think their basic 195 head, assembled, is in the $1,400 - $1,500 range?

On my iPhone again.
you can get a complete running engine with heads that flow like that from any junkyard in the country for less money than those heads. the most commonly come in 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 liter sizes and can be found under the hood of pretty much any 99 and newer GM truck..

-Hank Hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 13th, 12, 7:44 AM
Tech Team
Dave

Default Re: Refresh the 383, or build 406...or go bbc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill66Malibu View Post
What would this site be without the personal touch? this is bench racing isn't it?
Ok, since Tom wants us to be all serious.
Yes, automatic is the way to go if you want consistency, then by all means go automatic. I would keep the stick setup just in case you change your mind. I would also change heads and cam as someone mentioned before and wake up the 383. Personally I would contact C Straub for a cam and head setup, you won't be disappointed.

I agree with this. A 383 with good heads and the right cam will easily get you into the 7's.

Also agree with keeping everything to put the stick back in the car. In 10 years you may want to put your car back to the way it was, and trust me when I tell you it's a lot cheaper when you keep your parts.

Keep the 406... you'll want to use it eventually. A stock bottom end with nothing more than good (ARP) rod bolts will hold up quite well... depending on your goal, of course.
750 Holley DP,TH400 w/brake, 4000 stall FTI
4.30 gear, 12 bolt
... for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Engine      Current Topic: Refresh the 383, or build 406...or go bbc?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.