Team Chevelle banner

68-72 wagon fuel tank value

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  FO_FDYFO 
#1 ·
Hope I don't get in trouble for this, figure I'd get a better response here than in the WIW forum. If this is a problem, please move this posting.

What is a fair value for a clean fuel tank without sender for a 68-72 wagon? The unit in question is actually for a 70-72 if that matters as far as factory vent line (it has one). Not buying, but have been contacted by a wagon owner that needs one. Don't want to get rich off of this but also know they are not as common as coupe/sedan or Elco tanks.

Thank you for any input,
Tom

#2 ·
I'd say at least $150 plus shipping if the inside is clean and still sealed. That would probably be the price of a new one if anyone was producing them and, since they aren't being produced, that would be a good price for one.

#3 ·
I'm sure someone on here with more experience will chime in...but...I looked for one for a long time before I pulled mine down. Maybe I'm just not that good at looking, but I couldn't find one for the life of me.

(I wanted a spare to cut up for my F.I. in-tank fuel pump mod)

#4 ·
well this is a thin ice topic but I dont have a problem with it. I think a good tank is easily worth $300 due to the hastle of finding a good one especially if you got to pull it. I would gladly pay $300 for a good one if I needed one anytime. any less then that is a steel. supply and demand. money verses time to find and or labor to pull if found. most people are just going the extra mile and rebuilding theirs. the inner and outer coating systems seem pretty good these days. so if you selling and have a buyer if you get $250 you did alright, if your a buyer and you can get one for $300, I'd take it! I usually sell them for $250-$300 plus shipping but I'm all out! and dont plan on getting any more. i have one that needs rebuilding. rebuilding ends up costing like $150 or maybe $100 for the kit then all the labor. so you got to weigh out a few things to answer that one.

#5 ·
I would agree with Pete. I too wanted to find one to convert to an in tank pump, but there are really none advertised on the web and no wagons in the local junk yards. I believe DVAP has a wagon in their Phoenix yard. They were going to be my next call when some more project money rolls in. Call and see what they ask for one.

#6 ·
Just realized I never updated this thread with what the tank sold for.

Fuel tank with non-working single line sender and lead wire harness, lower and front straps with hardware, and front cover panel, all along with a decent green vinyl wagon bench seat with headrests for $340. Sold locally so no packing or shipping. Figure what the breakdown between tank and seat or tank and misc tank related stuff is and that's the value.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Best regards,
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.