Team Chevelle banner

396 30 over need finishing need some advice???

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike 
#1 ·
Sup guys so im trying to finish my powerplant for my 70 chevelle.

the block is a 1966 block (3855961) 2 bolt. done 30 over. (402) i belive, correct me if im wrong.

pistons are KB:http://www.jegs.com/i/Keith+Black/648/KB160.030/10002/-1

im unsure of the cami want to go with, i want it to have a very big loop. the velle will be mostly street driving but i surely dont want it to be a punk lol. most of my boys are runing LS swaps so i want to make sure to give them a run for there money :D

I am going to run this mpfi kit on there:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-92105211/
it is a oval port mani.. (keep in mind)

i have two sets of heads: 3856206, 14081045.
also i was thinking of going after market aluminum... i did not see to many small cc heads so im unsure of which ones. im trying to run hi compresion so we can make some good puppies. It says on jegs website that i can make 11:2:1 with 90cc..

my goal is around 550hp im hoping. also ill be running a th400 with a 12bolt.
also if you guys can... estamate what the e.t would be that would be nice..

LMK if you guys need any info and all the advice would be greatful. Thanks in advance!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Iy you ask me you are pushing the limit or possibly past it with that intake and injector choice.
You will need quite a cam to pull off 550hp in the small cube power plant unless your heads flow really good.
We are talking a really good port job and a cam in the high rpm style...
You will need to be shifting that one around 7800 minimum in my book

And a good set up chassis and gears in the 456 range ...build it the way they did in the late 60's early 70's and you can have a quick small cube BBC
Although if i had to do it i would pick a good solid lifter cam in the 250-260 @.050 range and keep lift under .600" so that it is easier on valvetrain parts...I still like my 456 gears...i would also break it in with a single 4 carb and then install a tunnelram with 2 600 or 750 carbs...of course i am old school.

#4 ·
I agree with Jeff.....you will need one heck of a motor for 550HP. My 410ci BBC is 10.4:1 compression, Ross custom pistons made for my block, Comp Cams XR274R solid roller cam, GM 077 rectangular port aluminum heads, 163 stock intake and a 780 vacuum secondary. My motor came out to about 480hp on the dyno.

My car weighs 3800lbs with me in it. My best 1/4 mile time is 12.91 at 108MPH.

A better head/intake choice than mine will get you more HP but I'm not sure if it will be 70hp?????

Hope that helps, Kurt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.