Team Chevelle banner

65 VS. 66 Chevelle Bucket Seats

17K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  jbeezy53 
#1 ·
I am trying to get some help and information. I have been looking for awhile for a set of 1965 Chevelle bucket seats for a respectable price and have come up empty handed. I have found a damn good set of 66 Chevelle buckets for a good price. But I want to try an keep the orginal look inside of my 65. I guess my question is how much of a diffrence is there in the bucket seats between 65 and 66 ie. heigth of the back diffrence, thickness of the front bottom and looks? I just really like the looks of the 64/65 seats. I have googled pics but cant find any good clear pictures.

Thanks and any help would be awesome

Jimmy

#2 ·
#3 ·
The seat frames are a totally different design & the dimentions aren't even remotely close.

1965:

1966:

I'd stick to searching for the 64/65 seats myself... If you want original nothing else will do.

You'd be better off taking a modern cars seat and having it recovered to look like 65 seats rather than trying to make a 66-72 seat look like a 64/65... Probably a lot cheaper that way too.

Best recomendation would be to keep searching ebay... look for the 64/65 Oldsmobile, buick & pontiac buckets... might be easier to come by than the chevelle seats.

#4 ·
I had some 67 lemans buckets in my last 65 chevelle and they wern`t too bad looking in there. wasnt m first choice but the price was right and they were way better than what they replaced. if they are decent and a good price pick them up and use them for now. you can always change them later.

#5 ·
We are going the opposite route... 65 "Chevelle" buckets in our 67. The wife likes the more squared out look, her mom's 67 had a bench, and that is what we are trying to emulate... kinda... The price was right as the seat frames need some spring work and a bit of "adaptation" to fit properly. TMI is currently making my covers.

#6 ·
Rambo

Thanks so much for the clear pictures. It has helped me make my mind up and your right keep searching. I think I have come across a set. A little rough but not bad seat foam and covers and should be good to go. I appreciate everything and information you have provided. Thanks Again

Jimmy

#8 · (Edited)
65 Cruise!!!! New SS seat covers, Tilt Wheel in NY

Was just looking on Craig's for seats in your area VA, and came upon these 65 Chevelle parts, maybe some one interested, Cruise, 4-way flasher, etc.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4084566615.html

Paul

Also saw these new in box 65 SS Chevelle Seat covers in Charlotte NC.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/4108231684.html

Paul

Also in Long Island saw this Tilt wheel says for a 64-65 Chevelle.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/pts/4107634139.html

Paul

Good luck!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
Damn wish I had seen this earlier. I have some 64/65 seats and need some 66 seats.

#10 ·
Here's something to consider. Check your local junkyards for seats out of the Rav4 and other small SUVs. Many of them have seats that are very close to what came in the 64-65 chevelles. If you're going for a correct restoration then only the real deal will work. But if you are doing more of a close match or a resto mod check them out. Most have built in headrests which you can eliminate when you recover them. These new style seats are generally much stronger in materials and design than the old stuff and usually way cheaper too. When you get them from the junkyard, get the tracks with them as they are also usually better than the old ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.