Team Chevelle banner

How much time after clear coat to buff.

30K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  69ssmike 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I tried a search on this but couldn't find what I was looking for. Last weekend I applied Omni 261 clear with the 264 hardener. Yesterday I purchased a buffer, glaze and rubbing compound. I was going to polish-buff today but have come down with the flu. My question is how long do I have to buff before the clearcoat gets to hard to work with? Thanks Jerry

#3 ·
I just painted Sherwin Williams base clear. The supplier told me to cut and buff after 3 days, and preferrably before 7 days. But I couldn't get at it so soon, and I did it about 30-45 days later, no problems. I did notice that is was easiest to buff the sooner I got to it, but I would say there is no end time limit. Harder clear is just harder to buff the 2000 grit scratches out. Takes more time and passes.

#4 ·
The longer the wait the better. If you wet sand the clear and then buff, the dullness may come back after the curing process has been complete. I would wait about 7 days before wet sanding and buffing. You shouldn't have any problems then.

Every now and then at the body shop we would get a car to return because the paint started to dull out. This was because we wet sanded and buffed the paint only a couple hours after getting the car out of the paint booth.

#8 ·
One thing that will help make it easier to buff, get yourself some 2500 grit wet/dry paper. I go in progressive steps, 1000 to take out nibs, 1500 to cut it flat, and then 2000 and finally 2500 to make it easy to buff. I would rather spend more time sanding than buffing. Be sure to use alot of water, and change the paper often as it will wear out pretty fast.

#10 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. I felt a lot better today and compounded it. This is the first time I have done anything like this and was amazed (delighted) to see the dull color sand finish turn shiny again. I can hardly wait to apply the glaze. After I was done I took the car hood outside and found a few more places that will need to be compounded again. I started on just the hood as being a first time painter I didn't want to do the whole car several times. It took me three trys with the hood but now I feel I can go on with the rest of the car with hopefully not to many problems. Yeah the wife is feeling fine, I heard ''what are you doing on my side" a couple of times tho. Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.