Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

68 SS 427 emblems from Impalas. . .

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave Birdwell 
#1 ·
Did the SS427s have the SS on the grill with the 427 underneath like the SS 396s? I was just trying to remember but I thought these were the emblems they used on the Yenko/Copo 68 427 chevelles...

Thanks!
-Joe Y.

#3 ·
The '68 Impala SS427 did use an emblem in front that said 'SS' on top & had red 427 numerals below. Out back they used an emblem that said 'SS427' on one line. This emblem is the one you may see on some Motion cars; the 'SS' is chrome & the '427' is red. I think Danchuck has the emblems available. One thing for sure, there are more emblems than cars. There is one extremely rare one here in Toronto. I was driving to work when I saw it; needless to say I was late for work that day. I checked it out, and it's a genuine Canadain-built SS427 convertible. I've heard that only 12 were produced in Canada; estimates say that 50 SS427 covertibles were produced in the U.S. but I figure there were possibly that or a few hundred. You certainly don't see them around.

#6 ·
The L36 (427/385 horse) was the standard powerplant. Painted orange with black air cleaner, except for the SS427. They got chrome valve covers and air cleaner lids. Also, the L72 was offered secretly for those who knew enough to ask and had a dealer who knew how to order it. The L72 was the hot Corvette 425 horse engine. Corvettes by that time still offered that motor, but with tri-power and a 435 horse rating. BTW, the L72 retained the Corvette exhaust manifolds when used on the big cars, and it used duals without the rear resonators (unlike the L36).

#7 ·
Two 427's were available for the '68 Impala SS427, the L72 425 horse, and the 385 horse L36 ( I think that's the code). A friend of mine bought a '68 SS427 convertible about 10 years ago. It was a numbers matching 385 horse automatic car. It had the SS427 emblem centered in the grille. Also had a special domed hood with a chrome grate in the rear, and "gills" on the front fender. One interesting note about this car...the VIN stamped on the engine was one number off from the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.