Team Chevelle banner

Mechanical Fuel Pump

14K views 78 replies 23 participants last post by  Texas70 
#1 ·
Is a Carter M4530 fuel pump rated at 30gph enough for 450-500HP?

#79 ·
That's where I got mine. .......... 8 yrs ago :sad:

#4 ·
I like Holley 170 gph 12-454-20 but a 120-130 gph pump should work for you. Isnt the carter M4530 pump rated 120 gph free flow? If I belive it will be enough with 3/8" fuel line.

Marcus

#5 ·
It's confusing because Summitt's listing says 120 but Carters site says 30. I have 3/8. Trying to keep a stock look.

#6 ·
I replaced the stock fuel pump with the carter 120, don't remember the number, no regulator, stock tank and lines, couldnt tell a bit of difference at the time, but have bigger carb and 90-98 jets now, its a good pump and will fit your needs, and will bolt rite up and looks like stock pump!

#7 ·
Is it crimped together like a stock pump or screwed together? It sounds like the one I am looking at which Carter says is 30. Do you remember how much it cost?

#11 ·
That's what I'm thinking. Any brand recommendation?

#12 ·
After searching the usual auto parts chains I can't find any replacement for a shp 454 such as the 70 Vette or Chevelle high performance engine. You likely will have to go aftermarket but you dont need too much pump. Something like an edelbrock performer rpm pump will be adequate for the engine you described.

#13 ·
After searching the usual auto parts chains I can't find any replacement for a shp 454 such as the 70 Vette or Chevelle high performance engine.
$21.99 for a 1969 SS396 Chevelle L78 fuel pump at the local parts store.
No difference between using this pump or the Carter 172 on my combo.
FWIW,George/Kettbo is going 113 MPH and running 11.7X with a parts store 1969 L78 pump.

#18 ·
This is a harder decision than I thought. I really don't want to have to run a fuel regualtor.

#21 ·
Doing this for living I have to recommend what I trust and know that works. It's great that some can get by with the minimum but with any profession when your reputation and lively hood is at stake your going to go with a sure thing. For the enthusiast there is nothing at stake. If I have a pain in my arm I listen to my friend that is a doctor and take his advice, my buddy that is a project manager I just listen.

#24 ·
Doing this for living I have to recommend what I trust and know that works. It's great that some can get by with the minimum but with any profession when your reputation and lively hood is at stake your going to go with a sure thing. For the enthusiast there is nothing at stake. If I have a pain in my arm I listen to my friend that is a doctor and take his advice, my buddy that is a project manager I just listen.
Give me a break. The op suggested he has 400-450 hp. Exactly how many gph do you think an LS-6 pump came with? I don't sell parts for a living but I have been messing with chevys for some 48 years. Have NEVER broke an engine because of a lack of fuel delivery. I think if my buddy ran 8.49 @ 152 on a holley blue with a 200 hit it clearly speaks for itself and he did it consistently. It does require a tiny bit of math to be exact if you need to go there. Approximately 1/2 lb fuel per hr per hp.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2013/...p-do-i-need-your-top-tech-questions-answered/

#22 ·
Chris,

You are well respected and I value your opinion. I guess it's up to me at this point.

Thanks for making the suggestion.

Rick

#26 ·
When we produced with pride in this country what we used the stuff held up and it worked well. I'm not going to suggest to someone who builds a $3000 to $4000 engine to save $100 on a fuel pump. Saving 3.3% to risk....nada good math to me.

#27 ·
Ever put a fuel pressure gauge on any of these so called good pumps? Just curious.... My small block leans out on the high rpm range, so I threw a fuel pressure gauge under the hood mounted under my cowl right off the feed line where it splits off for my double pump carb so I could view it as I drove. What I found was down right scary.. Pressure drops to 2 lbs under heavy load/high rpm, but is happy as can be at lower rpm's.. Just food for thought.. not trying to rain on anybody's parade..

#28 ·
The 6 valve Clay Smith is what every aftermarket pump wanted to be. This pump is 100% domestic and will run for years. Pump is fully rebuildable and it is not uncommon for a pump to come in for service that was sold in the 70s!!!

#38 ·
Carter 172 working fine for 5 years on my 496 which runs in the 11's. I wouldn't hesitate to run the stock replacement for an L78 knowing what I know now.

All the "what cam should I run" threads now become nothing but "call Chris Straub" I guess the fuel pump threads are heading in the same direction....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.