Team Chevelle banner

Rear axle ratio from VIN

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  DaleM 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if its possible to find out my rear axle gear ratio from my chevelle's VIN number? I've been under the car too many times and theres just too much rust on the axle tubes to find anything. If it helps I have a 1970 chevelle 396/350 SS 4-speed. I'm pretty sure that its <3.31 because the previous owner said that the rpm's would let the car just "purr" at 60mph on the highway. Thanks.

-Greg

#5 ·
You can get a ballpark number, by jacking the rear wheels off the ground, then turn the wheel one revolution, and count how many times the drive shaft turns. The best way is to pull the cover off and count the teeth on the ring and pinion gears. If it's that nasty under there, it's probably a good idea to pull the cover anyway, to change the gear oil.

#6 ·
If it has the original gear, most in likely it is a 3.31 if you have a real L34 car. Jack the car up and use a scotch brite pad. You can find it.

#10 ·
I finally came home and had some time to check out the car. When I jacked up the car and turned the wheel one revolution, the driveshaft only turned 1 1/2 times around. I know that this isn't a very precise way to find the rear axle ratio, but there's no way it can only be 1.5:1. Does anyone know why this happened?

I also went under with some sandpaper and tried to find the code on the axle tube. I looked on the rear passenger side of the tube, is this the right place? Thanks for any help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.