Team Chevelle banner

ZZ502 solid roller cam/modifications reqd

9K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  70_chevelle 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been runnin the ZZ502 in my chevelle the last 4 years. Its all stock besides the harland sharpe rockers, air gap intake and a 750 dp. It even has the stock cam in it and the best et i've mustered is 12.44 at 107 mph in the clouds (bandimere speedway).

I am looking to upgrade to a solid roller and I want to know is there any special modifciations required to run a solid roller over the stock hydraulic roller? I want to keep this car streetable and yet upgrade to a different cam in hopes of shaving off some ET.

Please help if you have any experience with a solid roller swap, what size cam works, and if theres any modifications i should look into for double roller timing chain/chain cover replacement?

I appreciate and feedback and all help.

Wolfplace: I will use your suggestions and i appreciate your help as well.

#2 ·
Hellow fellow Coloradian. Anyway, you will have to get the 3 piece comp cams timing chain cover, which is quite expensive, to allow the use of a double roller timing chain. That and you will need to use a cam button unless you specifically ask for a cam that works with the gen 6 camshaft retention plate.

#3 ·
There's probably 20+ different hyd rollers that are a bolt in replacement for te stock ZZ502 cam, that will put you in the 11's. Pretty much any hyd roller cam under .580 lift (.600-.610 if the cam has a large base circle) wil work with the stock hyd roller lfters. Most guys step their hyd roller up to about 240* @ .050 for their 502's and it chnges the whole attitude of the motor.

#4 ·
Rob, what's the rest of your combo? How much faster are you looking to run?

You should be in the 11's w/a ZZ502. MPH should be around 112+. Looks like your getting a good 60ft time.

#5 ·
69-CHVL said:
You should be in the 11's w/a ZZ502. MPH should be around 112+. Looks like your getting a good 60ft time.
Remember, he's in Denver at bandimere speedway and I'm sure the corrected altitude there is around 10,000 feet in the summer since we're 7,000 in SLC. The car will run slower then 99% of the rest of the country!

Lee

#7 ·
kstanbach said:
Hellow fellow Coloradian. Anyway, you will have to get the 3 piece comp cams timing chain cover, which is quite expensive, to allow the use of a double roller timing chain. That and you will need to use a cam button unless you specifically ask for a cam that works with the gen 6 camshaft retention plate.
Kstanbach: Thanks, I was wondering if I needed a special timing chain cover. I hope when I call the manufacture they'll have some experience with 502 set ups. I didn't realize i would have to get the spring pockets enlarged, looks like this project just got a little more costlier haha.

69-CHVL : Heres the rest of the combo
Exhaust: Dynomax 1-3/4 headers into 3" Exhaust/Dr. Gas X pipe into Flowmaster Mufflers
Gearing: TH400/ full manual reverse, 3.90 gears 12 bolt
I dunno what else to say, I want to run in the upper 11s. 11.80's-11.90's would be nice. Also I want to have a sick ass launch so that I can do some wheelies. I will be upgrading my combo slowly over time but as it currently stands I can pass a doll hair under my tire on good launches ;)

Best 60' is 1.68 but i'm mostly in the low 1.7's

GRN69CHV:
I've never had a solid roller and I've been racing and restoring my car over a 7 year period. Thanks for your reccomendations on hyd rollers, if anything I can use the results and performance of a hyd roller 502 as a benchmark that i hopefully can exceed with a solid roller.

70_chevelle: The DA varies from 5,800 and has been known to shoot up to excess of 10,000. I'm just trrying to beat the local boys at my track, no way i can catch up to all these low 11/10 second rides on pump gas!

Anyone have a solid roller range or spec reccomendation? Think I will be able to achieve my ET goals? I appreciate all your comments and feedback.

#9 ·
If all you want is to run 11s, you can stay with a hyd. roller in the 240 duration range, stick 2" headers on it and make sure the fuel system is up for the job.

#10 · (Edited)
SLC's elevation is quite a bit lower the denver.

We replaced the cams with our 502's with Crower's 01405LM hydraulic roller 245/253 and it really waked them up. Running 11.60's here.

I then replaced the cam in the chevelle with a comp solid roller 260/268 .715/.715 I also replaced the springs and lifters with comp's and I angle cut the heads I believe .060. This required new push rods too so the cost was really up there. I did have to cut the spring pockets too but that was easy, comp sells a cutter you put in your drill.

I'm not sure what the power gains where but I did get the chevelle down into the 11.10's @ 123 so it really woke it up.

Here are the part numbers:

studs cca-4512-16 $59
locks cca-611-16 $25
retainers cca-733-16 $137
lifters cca-883-16 $458
springs cca-991-16 $172
shim kit cca-4756 $28
1.680 pocket cutter cca-4722 $46
pushrods (get your length) $97
cam cbvi 4017b / 4024b $352

It came to $1374 plus gaskets.

Lee

#12 ·
when switching to a diff roller, the block has to be machined for clearance with the tie bars for the lifters, the stock cam uses a diff retention system, and lift is limited with it on hyd cams-comp was coning out with a lifter that didbt need macc., not sure if they did
some of the front covers(502) can be machined to fit a diff chain, depending which one you have

#13 ·
Crane has a high lift hydraulic roller for it. Supposed to be good pieces, expensive, though. Probably cheaper than buying tie bar type and having the block machined for 'em.

#14 ·
forcd ind said:
when switching to a diff roller, the block has to be machined for clearance with the tie bars for the lifters, the stock cam uses a diff retention system, and lift is limited with it on hyd cams-comp was coning out with a lifter that didbt need macc
Not true. I've been running mine for 2 years now...plus I gave all the part numbers to make it work!

Here is a picture:

#15 ·
You should have no problem getting in the upper 11's even with a fairly mild hydro roller. I ran 11.85 with no tuning with a Crane hydro roller with 226/236 @ 0.050, .580/.610 lift. IMO you have too much gear to run a cam with a small duration. I would step it up to the 240° range as others have suggested.

#18 ·
pastry_chef said:
Lee (70_Chevelle), curious what changes did the zz502's require to fit the Crower 01405LM. Springs/lifters/pushrods/other?

Thanks.
None! The stock springs had a slightly stiffer spec then the crower recommended springs.

Lee

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.