Team Chevelle banner

drum brakes on 65 chevelle

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Rich-L79 
#1 ·
a buddy of mine gave me his brake booster and fruite jar master cylinder off his 64 chevelle.( drum brake car) would this be better than having just drum brakes without the booster?:confused: thanks better brakes?

#2 ·
I would spend the money to upgrade to front discs (power or manual your choice) and a new dual reservoir master cylinder. That's what I did with my 65. The drum brakes were fine when I got the car but that old single reservoir master cylinder is a bit scary because you could lose all your brakes at once.

Upgrading your brakes is the first and best modification you can do to your car with both improved safety and performance in mind. Money well spent IMO.

My 64 El Camino has front discs and rear drums with no power booster, works fine.

#3 ·
Adding a booster to your brakes (converting from manual to power brakes) won't improve the braking at all though it will make the pedal easier to push. If you want to stop better, look at doing a conversion to front disc brakes with a dual system master cylinder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.