Team Chevelle banner

Internal versus external voltage regulator problem

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  John_Muha 
#1 ·
Went in to have my alternator looked at and it was determined that the voltage regulator was the culprit. They stated that an internal regulator might be a better choice versus replacing the external one. They installed the internal regulator to the side of the alternator so it can not be seen. I installed in today and I am getting a faded generator light on and signal lights seem to come off and on and the lights somewhat flicker when car is started. Also the turn signals do not seem to function when I try them where as before replacing it they did. When installing all I did was connect the positive side of the battery to the alternator and did not connect the old wiring from the external voltage regulator to the alternator since the connection for the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator was taken by the new internal regulator connection (again, a small box attached to the lower side of the alternator wired into that connector). What am I missing? Also note that on the lower part of the alternator there is a screw where I can run a ground from to the car. That was never grounded before the replacement alternator and is not now. Should I ground that? Someone told me that could cause flickering lights. Worry that I still need to do something with the old external alternator, i.e. disconnect something from it. Lastly, the alternator I took in is not what I got back. Not to worried about that since it was not original to the car but suspect there could still be a problem with the replacement alternator. Do not see any markings on the unit such as amps, etc. so hoping that have the right amps going out. Thanks for the help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not really sure what someone did under there. An internal regulated alternator is exactly that. The regulator is inside the alternator. There is no external black box.
The only thing I've seen that may be considered a black box is a shorting bar that plugs into the existing regulator connector.
No, you don't need a ground strap from the alternator stud to the frame.
Try and discribe which wires they tied the black box to. Did they change the alternator connector? They would have to do that to change from an external alternator to an internal unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.