Team Chevelle banner

Easy way to convert from external regulator to internal?

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  FULMNTE 
#1 ·
I'm at the point of throwing the hammer through the windshield on this alternator thing. First of all, I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS. I have no patience and this is driving me crazy. Without getting into all the craziness of a previous owner, with a tach that wouldn't let the car cut off and other stuff, I'm back to the very basics of the car had an externally regulated alternator and somebody put an early 70's style internal regulated alternator on it. The only mod I can tell they did was a jumper wire from the white to the blue on the plug where the voltage regulator used to be. With an Autometer tach in the car it would charge. Now the tach's out, courtesy of a set of side cutters right at the back of the tach housing and no charge, battery voltage only. I thought if I went back to the regulator harness and put 12V from the orange wire to the blue it would charge........nope. Yesterday I could stick a wire from the + battery to the blue on the alternator and it would start charging. Couldn't duplicate today. Took the alternator off and had it stuck on a bench and tested.....fine. Did I mention that I'm real mad now, LIKE REAL, CUSSIN' THROWIN' STUFF MAD.

Lectric limited makes a harness for this for like $15. so there can't be much to it besides a plug or a jumper wire, but I don't have time to wait on UPS.

Somebody help before I light a match to it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like it may be hooked up wrong. Read something in there about blue and white being tied together. Not quite right. Take a look at Wes's pictures from the Tech Reference section. Also, you don't need some fancy kit. All you need is a connector to plug into the internal regulated alternator. Junk yard item if you don't have one. http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply John. This thing really had me frustrated. After studying the drawing, I was wondering why combining the brown and blue at the plug as shown, and also attaching the orange and white at the plug wouldn't have the same result. It would sure seem easier, assuming that the white doesn't go somewhere else also.

#4 ·
The blue/brown connection is to excite the alternator field. Also runs the idiot light in idiot light cars. White or the light color wire off the alternator does go somewhere. Believe Wes shows it tied to the alternator output (red).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.