Team Chevelle banner

How Dangerous Is Coil Spring Removal?

38K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  Philip 
#1 ·
I did a forum search on coil springs, and now I'm really nervous about messing with those springs after reading quotes such as the following...
Serious injury or death can occur when a coil spring suddenly unleashes tension.
Be careful, use the spring compressor...I've seen the aftermath of one that went through a cinder block wall.
I was all set to re-do the front end and replace the coil springs since I have the entire front clip removed and everything is easy to get to. Now, I'm not so sure.

A spring going "through a cinder block wall"..."serious injury"..."death."
Hell, how dangerous is this job?

Regards,
-Greg

#35 · (Edited)
toms57/67 said:
It makes my skin crawl when I hear someone talk about puitting their cars on cinder blocks to work under them. Those damn things will crumble in a heartbeat and will get you killed!
-Tom
Tom, that exact thing happened a couple years ago here in the area I live in.
A guy was in his garage alone, working under his car, which he had supported with cinder blocks.
One of the blocks broke while he was working under it and the car fell down and crushed him to death.

A really lousy way to go, and it would have been prevented if he would have been using good quality jack stands instead of cinder blocks.

Regards,
-Greg

#37 ·
Malibulvr said:
You could trip in the garage walking to the spring and die, can't believe anyone is worried about taking a spring out.
I would conjecture that removing a compressed coil spring carries a somewhat higher element of risk than walking in your garage.

Malibulvr said:
Oh forgot, have a beer after each spring.
On the contrary. I would suggest remaining sober as a judge while removing coil springs.
Thanks for your commentary.

Regards,
-Greg

#38 ·
I would conjecture that removing a compressed coil spring carries a somewhat higher element of risk than walking in your garage.

On the contrary. I would suggest remaining sober as a judge while removing coil springs.
Thanks for your commentary.

Regards,
-Greg
I think he means, have A beer, not 10 beers.:yes:

That comes after your done with both, or, all 4.:)

#39 ·
I remove front coil springs by lowering the inner control arm. This method is outlined in the Service Manual (at least in 1971 anyway). Never had a spring move on me while removing or installing a spring. Never used a spring compressor, never used a chain. A spring compressor seemed like more trouble than it was worth. The fact is (IMO), if for some off reason your jack slipped out from under the control arm, the coil spring would actually fly toward the ground and under the front crossmember. If you remove a coil spring by popping the ball joint loose and lowering the outside of the control arm, there's a chance the coil spring can have you running like a little girl :p . Working on a car has a certain level of danger no matter what you're working on. All about managing the risks.

#42 ·
Common sense I reakon aye fullas/lassies, Ive removed a few springs in the past particuly Fords (australian XY, XW Falcons , ZD ZC Fairlanes etc, I bought a decent set of spring compressors and used them as any normal mechanically minded joker would and have never had any dangerous or accidental problems, removing coil springs is simple aslong as you take the time to think and have patience, take your time to make sure pressure is even spread around the coil, even if it takes an hour to get it right before removal, dont sacrifice safety for speed. Hope this is helpful. Regards Macca

#45 ·
If the engine is out of the car I will cut the springs to remove them. It is possible to remove a spring and install one without a spring compressor and I have done it. The procedure in the GM service manual does not include using a compressor.

This one was cut with a die grinder and cut off wheel, makes a cool POP when you get about 3/4 thru and it breaks :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.