Team Chevelle banner

hydro boost brake system

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  mnm99 
#1 ·
I am thinks of tring the new hydro boost brake system . My question is that if the power steering pump goes out do I lose my brakes.The kits look awsome, is it really worth the money? Are the gains dramatic or moderate thanks for the imput:D

#2 ·
It is waaaaaaaaaay worth the money!! It will put your head throught he windshield.

#3 ·
It was the best investment into my car yet. Like night and day. I think if your engine is off or you loose you power steering pump you get a few shots that still have pressure. if you have used that it works like manual brakes. I know Hydratech has your question answered in more detail in their FAQ.

#6 ·
There are two different types of hydroboost units. One uses the external accumulator and one uses an internal accumulator. The external ones are more common because the internal units are from the early designs. Typically, you get 3-4 pumps of the brake after engine shut-off. Well, actually, to be more correct, you get 3-4 pumps of POWER brakes after engine shut-off, alot of people misunderstand that.

#8 ·
sorry to bust in on everyone's happy stories; but i've got a question about hydro boosters. I see a lot of people are using the astro boosters. I was wondering if there is someone that knows if a H1 hummer booster is the same. pretty much as far as i can tell and from working on both trucks, they look and perform the same. reason being is that i can get my hands on a hummer one for free, and need to know if its even worth the time. thank you.

#10 ·
i love the hydroboost brakes in my 84 T Type- even with the puny little G body brakes, that thing stops. and the rear brakes hold 15psi of boost on the line if they are adjusted properly..
now, if i could only find someone to sell me a seal kit to stop my booster from leaking. i could get a different one from any number of places, but mines the original- and i've heard that the remans from Cardone are a crapshoot. actually, they just take your core, rebuild it, and send it right back to you- which means car downtime. if it's just gonna leak again anyways, i'd rather have $10 and an afternoon of my car being down instead of taking it out and sending it off and spending $150 and having the car down for 2 weeks or longer.

#13 ·
Got one from the guy on ebay. All rebuilt ,Came with three rods. I asked for the newer units like Hydratech uses. The newer ones 1996+ have that little sight glass on them. Most of the time it has something to do with anti lock brakes. Means nothing for us from what I learned...All the astros and newer hydroboosts are the same. The only difference is the accumulator. The silver large ones are spring loaded (older) and the silver is for mid size trucks , blue is for heavy duty. Here's the one I got. It looks very nice for only $125. I got a plate from Nick $100. About $150 in hoses and I'm into it for $375.... Much better than $700

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142090

I have a unit that I'm selling for $75 with the blue accumulator. Got it from a friend. never tried it though. It looks good though..Or rebuild it for $30 and it will be like new.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/powe...m14QQhashZitem250297134042QQitemZ250297134042

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.