What did I get myself into? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

Old Mar 31st, 12, 9:44 PM
Tech Team
Don

Default Re: What did I get myself into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Hi Don.
Do you have the wiring diagram(s) It is sooooo much easier with them.

www.Classiccarwiring.com does some great ones in colour.

Otherwise it may be a pain trying to explain some of this. Post pictures as you go and that will help with the explanations that you are seeking.

Levon
Thanks but I don't have that particular diagram, the one I have is from "Peach State Chevelles" web site. I just had a look at the one they have on their site for the '72's and it matches the one in my car. The wiper connections are on the other half of the bulk connector. I guess I'll have to send this one back and get one for a '72. What a piss off!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
I believe the tip-off of whether you have a '71 harness or '72 harness (dash harness that is)...is the wiper switch.

The 1971 harness is like the '70's....the wiper switch has the dark blue, the black, and the light blue apart of the plug.

The 1972 has an integrated ground that is offset from the main three terminals mentioned above. So it has a 4 terminal plug.........
Coppertop
Thanks for the pointer but as you can see in my response to Levon I found out which one I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 31st, 12, 10:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bob

NOTE: Your car is a 71 with A/C, NOT a 72. You have TWO relays under your glove box, What do they do???? When you shut the key off, One of the relays sends power to the A/C clutch for a short time. WHY??
This my friend was the " New and Improved Anti Dieseling System " for 1971.
When you are all done with your wiring try this. With the engine running ( In a quiet place) Turn the Ign. OFF and pull the key out of the column. NOW LISTEN........ You will hear a CLICK,, The A/C clutch has just engaged, ( This puts an extra load on the engine, So it will not DIESEL )
KEEP QUIET and LISTEN ! WHY?--- In a few seconds you will hear another CLICK, Whats That??? --Its the timer relay shutting the power off to the A/C Clutch. Remember all of this is done when the KEY is in your hand and not in the IGN.
Bob
Old Apr 1st, 12, 11:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

The wiper wires are part of the engine harness on the 71, not the forward lamp (light) harness. Sounds like you unknowingly might have started a complete rewiring of your whole car.

Edit... Sorry, I didn't see the last two posts before posting this.
Built 12 bolt 4:11

Pics
Video
Old Apr 2nd, 12, 6:22 AM
Tech Team
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
NOTE: Your car is a 71 with A/C, NOT a 72. You have TWO relays under your glove box, What do they do???? When you shut the key off, One of the relays sends power to the A/C clutch for a short time. WHY??
This my friend was the " New and Improved Anti Dieseling System " for 1971.
When you are all done with your wiring try this. With the engine running ( In a quiet place) Turn the Ign. OFF and pull the key out of the column. NOW LISTEN........ You will hear a CLICK,, The A/C clutch has just engaged, ( This puts an extra load on the engine, So it will not DIESEL )
KEEP QUIET and LISTEN ! WHY?--- In a few seconds you will hear another CLICK, Whats That??? --Its the timer relay shutting the power off to the A/C Clutch. Remember all of this is done when the KEY is in your hand and not in the IGN.
Bob
Thanks Bob. But if what your saying is true then why are the plugs for those two items on the engine wiring harness rather than behind the dash? They will not go in through the firewall.
Old Apr 2nd, 12, 9:44 AM
Levon

Post a picture of your new harness and the plugs. There are relays on the firewall with these cars. One is for the TCS (Transmission controlled spark) and it uses 2 plugs. 1 at the firewall and 1 at the pass side front of the engine. Maybe that is what you are seeing???
Team Chevelle #279
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed (Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
Old Apr 2nd, 12, 7:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bob

NOTE:
The 71 A/C harness----- It is a stand alone harness. It has nothing to do with the under dash or under hood harness.
As always, Some times they get hacked into by someone looking for a " HOT WIRE ". This is another problem to deal with.
Bob
Old Apr 2nd, 12, 9:03 PM
Tech Team
Don

Levon
Probably won't be working on the car until Friday. The car is in a friends shop and it's 20 min. away. I'll take some pictures and post them then.
Old Apr 2nd, 12, 9:28 PM
Levon

OK.
Have a great week.
Team Chevelle #279
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed (Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

My Showroom
Old May 5th, 12, 8:23 AM
Tech Team
Don

It's been a while since I've posted. I went back to my old harness and started from scratch. I used the wiring diagram I have and traced everything I needed and eliminated the wires not needed (after everything was working correctly). I left the horn relay on the firewall because it worked out better for me. I know it's not correct but it seemed much easier than extending more wires to the rad support. I hid most of the wiring behind the engine rather than up on the firewall for a bit of a cleaner look. Now all I have to do is reinstall my MSD and Tach Adapter and it should be good but that can wait for a later time as I have a Pertronix Flame Thrower distributor in the mean time. I'll post a few pics later.

Oh yeah the vendor I got my AAW wiring harness from wouldn't take it back as it was a special order, so if anyone needs a '71 engine wiring harness I have one for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Electrical & Wiring      Current Topic: What did I get myself into?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.