Team Chevelle banner

Electric choke 12V source

17K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TonyS 
#1 ·
Other than the Ign spade on the fuse block, is their another source that I can use for an electric choke hook up? The previous owner has used the ign spade for a couple of items that I haven't ran out yet. I think it is being used for an after market radio.

Thanks;

Tony

#4 ·
Is this a Holley electric choke? If so, I would NOT recommend connecting it to the wiper power wire. The wiper motor is "hot" when ever the key is on OR in the ACC (accessory) position. So if you have the car off, but listening to the radio for example, your choke is on and Holley's need the car running to cool the element or it will overheat and burn up.

Never connect anything to the alternator field/relay (blue and white) wires. These are not meant to carry loads.

#5 ·
ive hooked dozens up to the light wire. gm did it this way from the factory on cars built from the late 70,s to the eighty's. those cars had a choke light that would glow when the diode trio went bad. you can also use the wiper wire and use a factory oil pressure switch so there is no current untill the engine runs

#7 ·
Sorry, yes it's a Holley choke.
Well I decided to convert to an HEI ignition, so in the process I removed the harness, removed the pin connector from the harness and installed a new connector to include the HEI wire and also a choke wire. Works great and looks like a part of the harness.

Again, thank you all for the input, it all helps.

#10 ·
You should never use the coil! That is a 9.6 volt feed, not a full 12 (unless using HEI), but the worst problem is that it is an unfused circuit. If the electric choke ever dead shorts (which they have been known to do), it will totally burn up the dash and engine harness. The choke should always be on an ignition only fused feed. Do not use an accessory feed, only ignition.

Donny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.