Team Chevelle banner

EFI Recommendations for BBC Daily Driver

13K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Beaux 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I always come here when I cant find an answer through research, us TC guys are always really helpful. I am currently deployed in Afghanistan but when I get back to Germany I would like to install EFI in the Chevelle. I love driving the car, and its turned into a (pro-touring project) daily driver while my wife drives our beater BMW (but she loves driving the Chevelle too lol). Now that I have it in Germany with the new big block Ive been having trouble tuning and seem to be the only one who knows how to tune a carb or even time an engine (and Im no expert). In the end, I cant compete with a computer and for driveability etc its a no brainer. The issue is I plan on eventually doing a turbo build eventually, though Im going back in forth between big block and LS. If I drop 1-3K on EFI Id like to be able to use it on a future project as well. I know the FAST 2.0 supports up to 1400hp and even better it looks like a carb (cleaner than plastic and wires everywhere) and can bolt like a 4150 Holley so its LS and BBC compatible (I think)----but Im not sure if this would be a blow through set up/not optimum etc. Basically if I spend that much Id like for it to be an investment, if not, then perhaps I should tough out the carb, get it professionally tuned etc. So, a couple questions:

1. What EFI system would you guys recommend, or should I just focus on this project and worry about it later?

2. When I purchase this EFI I would also really like timing control, but Im not sure how this works---what do I need? Do I still keep my 6al MSD box etc? Just not sure.

Thanks a bunch guys!

-Paul :beers:

See less See more
#2 ·
There are several ways to do timing control. The easiest is to get a small-cap HEI (8-pin module) and it will simply hook to the EFI and let it control timing.

The best (IMO, at least) way is to use a crank trigger hooked to the EFI. The EFI controls a CD box (like your MSD). The distributor is then just directing the spark to the right cylinder.

#3 ·
If you are looking to go forced induction in the future you will definitely want some sort of sequential. Not that you mentioned it, but none of the the throttle body style EFI conversions will handle a turbo (that I am aware of anyway) EZ-EFI 2.0 for example will not work even though it supports the power levels. FAST XFI 2.0 would be where I would look but it is certainly more advanced as far as tuning goes. Covers your timing issue as well.

Regardless of what you choose, be prepared to open you wallet wide as I think you will be lucky to get a "kit" for under $3k that meets your desire to be future proof.

#4 ·
For simple drivability and ease of tunning in non-forced induction application one of the self learning EFI systems is the way to go. For forced induction applications, sequential is the way to go with a laptop programable ECU. The complexity goes up significantly as well as cost but you will need the flexibility and tunability.
For a sequential, programable system $3K in a little light. I've ran both styles and each has it's merits but it will cost you to do it right.

#6 ·
Holley has a very good following at all the different levels, Mike Lewis is a dealer for us TC guys. The tech info is good here, but on Yellow Bullet there are several very experienced tuners with lots of knowledge and advice also. Good luck.

#7 ·
Wow, guys thanks for all the replies. I did a bunch of research based off your suggestions and learned some more. Sequential sounds awesome as well as the XFI, and I dont think I would mind tuning some as long as it didnt hinder driveability----I really like tuning the carb and touching the timing to see where I can gain a few mpg or horsepower. Not so much of a plug and play guy in that I love to learn----that said Id hate to have something that is unreliable or have to pull out the laptop constantly when me and my wife just want to head home etc (which doesnt sound like it would be the case).
$4k is quite a bit to spend (more than what I have in the motor almost lol). I may have to wait on it and just take a look at the FAST 2.0 or something cheaper and just hope the resell value is good enough to recoup my losses in a couple years. I doubt I will ever want to park the car for very long, so my next build may have to be a seperate engine on the side and use my current 454 to mock up tubing etc----just some ideas. I have a while downrange so Ill keep my eyes open for a used self learning system that will support 5-600 hp. The 454 was just put together and not running very good. Long story short I got the car to Germany a few weeks before I deployed, changed the cam and chased my tail for weeks only to find someone welded the distributor weights previously = pop the hood every time to start it and then re curve, backfiring, horrible mpg etc. Left a bad taste in my mouth, and the power level wasnt great. I have a feeling dropping in the EFI with timing control etc is probably going to give me an extra 1-200hp lol since its so out of whack. It wouldnt even spin the tires. But by god that BBC looks so good under the hood, and sounds awesome so Im still in love.
The holley looks great, and customer service is paramount. the FAST 2.0 is similarly priced. Any disadvantage to the inline fuel pump? seems simpler etc, but is it a bad choice for my pro-touring direction? Also do these systems work ok with a laptop if I wanted to get a bit more advanced and roll up my sleeves to learn more about EFI? Thanks a bunch guys!

-Paul

#8 ·
I can recommend the Holley HP EFI. I am running it set up for sequential multi port with edelbrock vic jr efi manifold and fast dual synch dizzy. Laptop tuned and yes uses an ignition box. Same setup would support about whatever HP level you want with appropriate sized injectors. Holley has MAP sensors for boosted applications as well.

#10 ·
Could do throttle body efi on whatever but you will need an intake setup for the injectors for multiport. There are front throttle body LS style intakes (eddy pro flow, ect.) available as well as the vic jr which uses a 4bbl style throttle body.

#11 ·
Roger. Yeah I saw the video on youtube of chucks garage when he installs the holley efi. Man he makes good videos! That set up looks really high quality and easy enough, so its definitely at the top of my list. Looks like it will work with my current intake then. Is there anything I will need to do for the return line to the tank? I believe the newer sending unit I installed a couple years ago had 2 outlets but I cant recall, it was a 3/8 for a BB.

#12 ·
Not sure about the chevelle fuel system; mine is on a tube buggy rockcrawler. maybe someone else will chime in. I do have a -6an return to my fuel cell from an aeromotive regulator.

#13 ·
A return line fuel system is no big deal,even though the inline returnless system(MSD Atomic) would be the easiest to install.
Depending on how much power you plan on making,you need to calculate how much fuel you need and what pump/fuel line size,you will need.You can use your original feed line as your return line and then add a new larger feed line.Walbro and Bosch make some nice inline pumps which will support big power.You will need to modify your existing tank or get a new EFI tank.There is lots of info on doing a tank in this forum.

#15 ·
When the HP starts going up you really want to look into a multiport system vs a TBI as you begin to get into fuel distribution issues with TBI and a carb'd intake.

I think you need to decide on the future of your build. Going LS or BBC makes a difference. The Holley HP system I just purchased for like $1500.00 (ECU and harness only) gets an LS engine running painlessly and is EXTREMELY flexible and adaptable for whatever you want to do. The same ECU runs everything under the sun. If you spend over 3K for a BBC system and go LS, now that nice BBC intake/throttle body/Injectors etc are kinda wasted.

I personally couldn't see spending 2k+ for a system that is not totally adjustable (and I'm not talking about a handheld device that allows some movement of parameters) in every way.

That all said, there's no reason your carb shouldnt run perfect. There is really not much gain in MPG with an EFI system, so dont look for a cost savings in that respect. I have to laugh at some of these magazine articles..."30% gain in MPG" - yeah right. It can give you a sharper running motor however.

#16 ·
If you're going turbo in the future, skip the efi altogether on your big block. Get an ls drop out for $500, throw a fun cam in it, enjoy it, then when you get sick of it, throw the turbo on it and make 600-800 HP without breaking a sweat. You'll have your efi and you'll get better mpg vs a BBC with efi and you'll be money ahead.

Doug

#18 ·
Ugly LS = more HP that your ancient sbc/bbc

I'll take ugly ALL day long. You can tell me how bad it looks after you're done staring at my tail lights!

#21 ·
Indeed it is.
Maybe if the coils weren't all over the valve covers they would look a little better to me.

#26 ·
For that kind of ugly one must have some DEEEEP pockets. Thats one of the ONLY LS builds that I truly enjoy looking at. Thats a lot of time and work and its in one of my favorite builds but gooood GAWD would that be a lot of time and money (unless you have some serious inside track with help / parts and skill or have all that yourself)

heck....just take a look at what a black label LS crate costs. Last I checked I think it exceeded 10 grand.

I have seen a couple of really clean and nice looking carbed LS builds with relocated coils and such. One of which is local. They look a lot better to me than the majority of LS swaps I see. 90% of which appear to be yank / stab from the junkyard and "fingers crossed it lasts....but if not i'll yank / stab another"

No denying its a bad ass platform. And I too would LOVE to run one in the future. But pretty they are not unless you spend some serious time, effort and money. well...eye of the beholder I suppose. I think Kim Kardashian is one of the ugliest women on the planet but others seem to disagree...but hey....if cockeyed bubblebutt chicks with the IQ of a pair of dirty underwear is your thing then who am I to rain on your parade. :D

#28 ·
:hurray:

How does a motor appear to be a "yank/stab"?Are you saying you have seen a lot of LS motors from the junk yard fail?
I meant that seems to be a recommendation I see all the time - yank one from a junk yard and throw it in and run it. Its cheap reliable power, boost it if you want more HP.

that was said in this thread.

No matter, I love the engine platform. I just happen to like it a lot more under the hoods of cars it originally came with. All the LS builds I have seen that were really sharp as well as powerful were some pretty serious builds, time and money and the word "budget" didnt seem to exist. Lots of others I see just have that cobbled / after thought look of a junk yard pull / power wash / paint accesories and run it. They may run good and get decent mileage but hands down those meet my personal definition of ugly.

I may be biased because I dont like to do what everyone else does, thats probably my hang up with the LS in muscle cars. Its the new norm. I dont like the norm. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.