Team Chevelle banner

Headlight upgrade moves?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Coppertop 
#1 ·
Guys, planning on more night driving in the 66.. The headlights work correctly but still are weak... What ideas have you guys used to get brighter/ safer lights???

#5 ·
I do instrument wiring by trade so I built my own relay system, which is really not that much of an accomplishment. I was amazed at how much brighter the headlights were, especially on high beam. The relays unloaded the instrument wiring system dramatically.

#6 ·
Adding relays and plain ol' ordinary halogen sealed-beams beats hell out of installing some Chinese-junk "HID" system that is neither DOT-legal nor particularly effective except to blind oncoming traffic.

#7 ·
swap in a modern CS style altnernator and run a big wire directly from the back of the alternator to the battery... this should get you up to almost 14 volts at the lights if the rest of your wiring is in good shape.

#10 ·
While I don't use the CS-style alternator, I do wire the relay to the alternator output terminal via ~5 inches of fusible link (16 gauge) and the remaining wire 12 gauge until it splices into the (verified good) OEM headlight harness.

As long as the wire from alternator to relay to headlights has no corroded sections, it will provide alternator voltage or very close to alternator voltage to the headlights; whatever the alternator is regulated at is what the headlights should receive. This is typically 14+ volts.

#8 ·
Also, some electrical contact cleaner on the terminals never hurts. Even with bulbs installed the contacts can still corrode and dim the lights.

#9 ·
I did the relay conversion on my 70 driver. ( P.S. NO Chevelle owner is dumber than me ) Dash lights are much brighter, Using Halogen headlight bulbs....
No night driving issues whatsoever! Just added the relays NOTHING ELSE, Using the Org. 70- 63 Amp. Alt.
Mounted the two relays behind the washer bottle on my 70 ( makes them hard to see). Best and very cheeeeeep upgrade for a Chevelle.
I am a guy that wants everything to look STOCK.
P.S. I hid the giant hot wire from the batt. to relays, Inside the core support with the Org. wiring. I also slid the hot wire inside a long piece of vacuum hose to protect it. Reason: A large hot wire that shorts out from the Batt. Would require at least TWO firetrucks to put the fire out.:yes:
Did this four years ago. I drive the Wagon a lot at night.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.