Team Chevelle banner

What to do with used antifreeze?

15K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  MikeN 
#1 ·
What do you guys do with it? I don't have an Autozone or O'Rielly's available. My recycling center won't take it either.

#3 ·
FYI,where i live in NY autozone/advancedauto/etc dont take used coolent,they only accept used oil and batteries for recycle.

Its a reall problem for us to get id of used coolent here in NY,i have yet to find anyone that will take used coolent in my area.

Scott

#5 ·
Some repair shops have equipment that will clean/recycle antifreeze. Call around and donate the stuff to one of them.

Do not leave antifreeze around in an open container. A friend's dog drank a small amount of antifreeze and died several years ago. The stuff has somewhat of a sweet taste (I've been told) and dogs/pets are attracted to it.

#11 ·
Some repair shops have equipment that will clean/recycle antifreeze. Call around and donate the stuff to one of them.

Do not leave antifreeze around in an open container. A friend's dog drank a small amount of antifreeze and died several years ago. The stuff has somewhat of a sweet taste (I've been told) and dogs/pets are attracted to it.
I have several jugs lying around as well and can't figure out what to do with it. I can say from personal experience that antifreeze most certainly has a sweet taste. I was removing the radiator cap on my GMC truck while engine was cold, somehow there was still pressure on the system and I got a mouthfull of coolant:eek:

#7 ·
Check with your town, county and/or state web sites.

Most towns and counties provide a day or two each year where residents are allowed to bring hazardous waste for collection without charge.

If you have a private garbage collection service (in towns where you have to choose and pay for it yourself) call and check with them to see if they provide a similar service and/or location.

#8 ·
Check with your town, county and/or state web sites.

Most towns and counties provide a day or two each year where residents are allowed to bring hazardous waste for collection without charge.
My garbage collection (City) will come out to my house and pick up stuff like used motor oil, etc, free of charge (and they'll do it up to 3 times per year too)...

My local Autozone takes anti-freeze and oil (at least they did), but when I blew a head gasket, they wouldn't take it... They needed it separated (water and oil), as they go in separate tanks...

#10 ·
The Precision Tune down the road will take the anti-freeze if you have some common courtesy and call ahead.

#13 ·
I had the same problem with the county landfill, I called the landfill manager and asked him why they would not take antifreeze, he said that they should and would look in to it, he called a few days later he called back and said they would accept anti-freeze. The county is now recycling the anti-freeze and using the recycled anti-freeze in their heavy equipment and county vehicles, sometimes the government does the right thing.

#15 ·
At least in MN, anywhere that does repair or sells it, must take old stuff back. They are allowed to charge a fee, but it would be dsmall ($1-2 per gallon). Most large places will take it for nothing, especially if you get an oil change or something.

#17 ·
I take antifreeze and used oil to work, in the oilfield. Where I pour it down a "skid drain" which goes to a tank and accumulates until there is enough for a "load" and they have it hauled off. Probably not supposed to do that but all my customers know I do it, and they all tell me "hell Tim that's how I do mine". So I do it too. I guess it's another perq.

Heck, these pignasty bastards I work on, it's nothing to walk up on one and see the skid an inch deep in oil and antifreeze. 5 more gallons ain't squat. Usually pour it on the machine next to the one I'm working on:). In case it gets accidentally blown back out the drain.

You guys that don't know how eth glycol tastes probly also don't know how big 100 gallons of oil looks when it comes flying at you:D.

Lord, the hot summer days I've had to work all stinking day after taking an antifreeze bath first thing. I always carry 3 or 4 gallons of H2O so I can just pour it on me before changiung clothes... It hasn't been 2 months ago I got hit with about 20 gallons of antifreeze 1st thing in the morning. Change clothes and still pissed off all day because it can take days to get out of your mouth when you get hit really bad.

#31 ·
Tim,
Sounds like you are going to an awful lot of trouble to get rid of your used oil and antifreeze. Why not just pour it over yourself before you leave for work each morning . . . ??? LOL

#22 ·
If you have any farms in your area you know,you might ask them.We load our tractor tires with it for weight,won't rot the rims like calcium chloride does.

#23 ·
I drop off all my used oils and antifreeze at Advance Auto Parts. They know me pretty well in there and the manager just lets me walk to the back of the store (behind the counter) and pour it all in the big drums they have back there. I dont think he has ever asked to see the fluids to make sure they are separated. I just pour it all in there.

#25 ·
Ethylene glycol has always been toxic...not via external exposure, but if ingested, does bad things to nervous system and organs. You don't want to put that down a toilet. City sewer service will run that waste thru a water treatment plant and pump back into a local waterway. If you have septic / cesspool and a Well on the same property, good chance you'll be ingesting that antifreeze one day. A good friend worked at a water treatment plant... after listening to his experiences, I always run my drinking water thru a Brita filter...may not help, but makes me feel better. Take fluids to a collection center....

#28 ·
Yeah, i just take it down to kragen in the same 5 gal mini drum that I take oil down in, they never me whats in it, they just take it.

#30 ·
Al Gore is going to come looking for you . . . . . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.