Team Chevelle banner

383 stroker vs. stock 454. which one?

33K views 67 replies 35 participants last post by  70SSOBSESSION 
#1 ·
I have a 70 chevelle with a 383 stroker, forged pistons, crankshaft,h beam rods,top end kit etc...puttin out around 520 hp. I know this one guy that has a 79 camaro with a stock 454 otherwise the intake manifold. He talks about it all the time but says his bigblock would own my small block is he right? I believe he is terribly wrong:noway:...well i just wanna know who would win?

Also..can i run a 8.2 10 bolt with my stroker?

CHEVELLE POWER:thumbsup:

#47 ·
U guys are right were just gonna run...it all comes down to whp...I know 454's are badass...just wanted 2 know wat u guys thought...454's are tough real tough....

We'll see whos bringin wat at the track, i know my stroker dnt mean **** if his 454 is fixed up but we'll see.

#48 ·
U guys are right were just gonna run...it all comes down to whp...I know 454's are badass...just wanted 2 know wat u guys thought...454's are tough real tough....

We'll see whos bringin wat at the track, i know my stroker dnt mean **** if his 454 is fixed up but we'll see.
Let us know how the races turn out. if you hook the rear meats at the starting line good, you're a likely winner. It will be interesting. Make sure you look under your opponent's hood at the track to make sure he doesn't have any Nitrous oxide surprises for you. ;) And if you get right behind him in the tech inspection line, you'll see if he has a nitrous bottle in the trunk when they make him open it. :yes:

#51 ·
I can definately relate to this topic. I recentley just posted a question about a stock mid 70's BB with pp heads that I purchased. I got some great responses from this board also. What I didn't mention in my post was that it was still in a 79 camaro that I was going to dump. Currently I am running a 383 in a 69 chevelle. It's snappy, but it's just not a big block. So for the right price I finally got my engine and a "free" camaro.

To get on with the story. I just trailored the car back to my place this weekend and decided romp on it now that the car was within towing distance in case I broke something. again: stock mid 70's truck 454 with weiand intake/headers/ 750 double pumper/ 10 bolt posi (maybe 3:55's at best), 275 tires, and a 3000 stall. I was not expecting much at all. However, Hands down this thing out torked my 383 all day long. I could not get it to hook.

The current 383 set up in the chevelle: the "real" double hump fulie heads that have been machined and ported, cam with 224/227 duration and .500 lift Edlebrock rpm performer, holly double pumper, 2000 stall, 350/w a shift kit, and 3:73's.

Don't know if it means anything because there are a million combos out there. But I will tell you that I will never underestimate the raw potential of a BB again. Good luck with the race. As someone already stated the first to hook will win!

#52 ·
#56 ·
1.that Caesar is trying to build a motor to beat his buddies slightly warm 454 OR 2.he is trying to decide which he should build.
3.the matchup is BS & he is just learning how to match parts for a good engine.

either way I still vote 454.

#60 ·
I know what it takes to make 550 HP with a 383 stroker motor. BTDT I would be surprised if his is making much over 350-400 HP.
My opinion could change with some better info on parts in the build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.