Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Do chrome headlight half-covers reduce your headlight effectiveness much?

19K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Bryan59EC 
#1 ·
After seeing a red 69 Chevelle on the cover of a recent HotRod magazine I have considered getting some of these. I wonder if someone could tell me how much they effect headlight performance.

------------------
R.E. Stancliff

#2 ·
Not trying to be a smart ass, I swear, but I would assume it would cut your light in half. Grab a flashlight and cover half of it with your hand. Same effect I would think. I thought these were removed at night anyway, no?

------------------
'70 SS 396
4spd, 4.10's and a smile
TC# 1341
ACES# 5388
Beaux
The SS
The Rat
Interior

Life is a gateway drug that leads to Chevelle addiction.

#3 ·
i dont think they are suposed to be removed at night. i dont know for sure but i think the light is not decreased because it is reflected back and focused out the bottom of the bulb. i am not speaking out of experience here, so let me make that clear. i am planning on using them on my 70 super wagon though. i think it might make for a more focused beam and it makes a great rock guard for at least half the bulb!

------------------
I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
Just let me apolagize for my spelling right now!
www.EINSTYN.com TC Gold#1460, VCEA#2, SCPC#44
68-72 Wagon resto & mod info, parts & sales.

#5 ·
so, they put the covers on and block half the bulb so they can drive around with their high beams on? this accomplishes what, exactly?

------------------
1971 Nova. 355, vortec heads, HOT cam kit,62 Vette T10 tranny,3.70 gears, 16" IROC wheels.
http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

#6 ·
along the same line as this thread, i once new a guy who had a late 80's IROC that complained to me one time about how he could bareley see where he was going at night, and asked if i'd look at it. took me about 2 seconds to look at it and tell him to take off the dark smoke-tinted headlight covers. he did, and it made a "night and day" difference, so to speak.

------------------
1971 Nova. 355, vortec heads, HOT cam kit,62 Vette T10 tranny,3.70 gears, 16" IROC wheels.
http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

[This message has been edited by novaderrik (edited 11-08-2002).]

#7 ·
Those things were on my 70 when i first got it- FORGET ABOUT DRIVING AT NIGHT WITH THEM.
While they do allow a little bit of light out the bottom of the light, you really don't have enough to drive with...

Also- When i finnaly did take them out- The headlight retaining ring had been streched out by them- and all my headlights were loose- I had to buy new rings for them to be tight again.

------------------
Ben Rambow
1970 El Camino SS
My old 1969 El Camino
The El Camino Classics Club
"Whats the matter with the car I'm Driving? Can't ya tell that its out of style..."

#11 ·
I have them on 2 of my vehicles and didn't notice any difference. They are supposed to stay on all the time.

I have heard that you can use your highs all the time too.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton
Somebody stop me... :)

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

The 348/409 Chevrolet forum
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/187005

#12 ·
You can use your highs because it blocks the light that would shine up into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

Ever notice on some bulbs the top is covered up with paint or something at the tip, thats so light doesn't go straight out the front. Low beams are supposed to reflect off the back and be focused first. High beams don't have this covering up front so the light goes everywhere and into the eyes of oncoming drivers. Thats why you can't use them when other drivers are around.

Those covers block the light that goes high and only allows certain portion of the light to escape. Therefore you can use your highbeams all the time, woopidy doo

#13 ·
When I get my 69 all put together I will be installing my new ones I bought 3 years ago. I think they do add some class. I have the ones that don't touch the headlights. They are real thick metal not like the ones that sit right on the headlight.

------------------
69 Malibu 406 3680lbs Turbo 350 2400 stall, 3.73,XE274, Performer RPM Q-JET, 800 Q-JET, Sportsman2 64cc 11TO1 12.65@105.5 mph

ACES Member #3635

#14 ·
I had then on my '71 Malibu, and on my '77 Chev 4x4. Never had a problem seeing at night with the low beams on...I had halogens in. I like the way they look at a distance....a touch of chrome makes a difference.

Just my .02

------------------
Don
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>'69 Chevelle 2dr Sedan project in progress.
<LI>70% done...feels like 70% left to do
[/list]

#15 ·
i just got them personally i like them and thing they look sweet i have not driving at night with them yet but i did readjust me beams to aim a little higher and towards the center because before they were too low and not where i needed them but i think so far they r a great buy just remember to adjust your light beams to your liking

#17 ·
1. Most places it is actually illegal to run with your high beams within city limits
2. headlights are not to be adjusted to your liking----there are specific points your lights are to aimed to prevent shining in oncoming traffics eyes.

At approx 25 feet your lights (the hot spots) should be pointed 2" down and 3" to the right from the front of your car. Inboard lamps not as critical for aiming, as they are SUPPOSED to be OFF when oncoming traffic is encountered, but it is a good practice to follow the same rule as the outboard lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.