Team Chevelle banner

'09 & '12 6 liter GM engines...are these LS style?

7K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  72 Greenbrier 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking for a modern motor/tranny for my 67 project. I emailed the largest salvage yard in my area (2 hours drive) and they have two 6 liter GM engines. They aren't giving me a ton of details on these. An '09 and '12 both possibly from Express vans. I am having trouble researching what motors these should be. Are these still LQ9 style blocks? If not, are they worth messing with? Might have to scale back to a 5.3, might be easier to find.

Looked through Craigs List and nothing there currently. Not real sure what to ask them to help me identify what they have.

I am trying to build on a budget....kid in college. Will take any help I can get! Thanks guys.

#2 ·
Yes they are still the LS line of engines. However you may have some other issues if they have the setup for shutting down cylinders so that your computer flashing can be done correctly.

#6 ·
Thanks guys. I ask for more info and they reply with this "One is an 09 and the other a 12, neither one is LQ9, I think they are both iron". I don't exactly have an expert of the other end, hell, I think I could give more info on them then that and I have next to no clue at this point! Told him I think I will hold out for a LQ4 or 9. Hoping they will be cheaper too, they wanted $1,850 (143K) and $2,600 (45K), guessing the '12 had the 45K miles.

I am not in a big hurry now, if I can't find a LQ I will start looking at 5.3s. Any ideas on price ranges I should expect on the LQs or the 5.3s?

#9 ·
If you are on a college kid budget, I would suggest finding a complete 5.3 drop out that includes the transmission and the ECM/harness. You should be able to find a complete package with sub 100k miles for around $1000 or less. The 5.3s make good power, get good gas mileage, and are readily available. You will have plenty of fun with that and when the time comes, you can swap that out for a 6.0 if you want.

#13 ·
I put a carbed LQ9 in my buddy's Mustang and was fairly unimpressed with how it performed. We ended up switching out the Edelbrock ignition control for the MSD version; the Edelbrock has different pills that change the timing curve while the MSD's curve can be adjusted via computer. That was all it took to wake that engine up and now it's a screamer. On the dyno, it was putting down 360 hp to the wheels with a flat torque curve across the RPM range in stock form through a T56. Which ignition box are you using?

#15 ·
Here's an example of whats available around here -

I bought an LM7 with 4L60E and it included the harness. No Computer. For $600. Supposedly everything worked when pulled. I have no idea - I sold the trans immediately for $300.

#16 ·
My bubby just a talked to one of his buddies in the car business...he had just sold an entire late model Escalade with a 6.2 for $10K, it had been rolled round around in a tornado. Those 6.2 L92 or whatever alum 400hp motors have some value for sure. Where I need to be looks like a rolled around 5.3 liter. Have to start somewhere.

#19 ·
Ask for the Vin # of the truck it came from. You can get all the info you need with that. Car fax will give you actual mileage, wrecking yards sometimes accidentally forget the correct mileage. 6.0's run great but love the gas, 5.3's run well and get decent mileage. I'd like to find the source someone mentioned here for under a $1,000.00 with trans. I am a salvage buyer for over 25 years and you can't touch any late model truck with low mileage for a fair price. They are all going "way" south of the border, if I get one, I paid too much. Can't sell an engine cheap when it costs so much for a wrecked vehicle.

#20 ·
Carfax won't give you any useful information about mileage unless that information has been reported to them. The same thing with accidents; if the owner doesn't report it, it won't be on there. As far as complete dropouts that include the engine and trans in the $1000 range, I see them around here all the time. You probably won't find one that cheap at a wrecking yard, but check your local Craigslist and other local classified ads. I paid $800 for a 98 LS1 with 40k on it and $1000 for a 2005 LQ4 with 5K on it, both of which I found locally through Craigslist.

#23 ·
Well, I have a motor. 6 liter out of an '05 truck, all the accessories, 65k miles for $1,350, heard it run and it purred nicely! Now a 4L60E plus all the other little goodies...things are just getting moving, finances will keep this project in low gear. I'll keep reading and acquiring parts for now.

#24 ·
Well, I have a motor. 6 liter out of an '05 truck, all the accessories, 65k miles for $1,350, heard it run and it purred nicely! Now a 4L60E plus all the other little goodies...

Too bad you couldn't have scored the 4l80e with it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.