Team Chevelle banner

mysterious front end clunk from my 68 conv.

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Steve442 
#1 ·
I have a 1968 convertible a-body that clunks at slow speed when the wheel is turned hard in either direction. At first I thought it was the idler or a tie rod end so I replaced the whole shooting match...then I thought it was the body bushings as they were shot so I repleced them too(and I replaced the shocks while I was under there)...but it persists. It sounds like it is coming from the front suspension somewhere but I can't tell where. It normally happens when I am backing out of the driveway on to the street with the wheel turned almost fully....HELP Please :(

#5 ·
Ball joints and such are pretty straight forward to diagnose with the front end jacked. My first thought was to check the control arm bolts. Had the same situation when I first got my car. Suspension & steering checked out okay. Put a few turns on the upper control arm bolts and the clunk was cured. Of course if the bushings are shot you can tighten it til you're blue in the face and you'll still be clunkin' along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.