Team Chevelle banner

2 cars found in the bottom of Foss lake

18K views 68 replies 28 participants last post by  sco1035 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Wow...what a story. So very very sad for the family...all these years of sorrow and not knowing...but at least closure of a sort is possible, though a bitter finale.

Other posts said there were five sets of human remains between the two cars. I suppose forensics will give some evidence of foul play, or not. Hard to believe they just rolled into the lake, but the total lack of damage to the front of the car seems to rule out "lost and drove into the lake" at highway speed, don't it? Can't easily imagine a no-foul-play scenario here.

Makes me wonder about the other car too. I'm no detective, but it sure makes one ask if there is an undiscovered bad actor in the area - someone who might have killed many times over the years and simply gotten away with it.

You can bet the authorities will be all over that lake now.

#11 ·
Close, Keith.The article on the shooters link says early 50's Chevy.That it may be linked to 2 men going missing around 1960.

#10 ·
Eerie.

My mom told me the story of how local authorities came to her parent's farm one day investigating a report of a missing local elderly couple. There was the thought one or both may have been terminally ill and they decided to commit suicide. There was a large lake/gravel pit on my Grandparent's property (that's how my Grandpa made a living--pumping gravel) and they were checking for any leads or evidence of a vehicle being driven into the water. Nothing was ever found. Big news for a small town. The mystery is still unsolved some nearly 50 years later.

More recently something similar happened as well here in Nebraska (although ruled an accident--I have the feeling alcohol may have been involved):

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Traci_Kenley_and_Bill_Rundle

#12 ·
Looks like folks in the know are saying it was 52 or earlier Chevy, apparently it has a split style windshield. I saw a picture confirming that feature.

Some media outlets are also already reporting the older car as "a 57 Chevy" (naturally) which is obviously wrong.

Sounds like at least one media outlet is suggesting have been three bodies in the older car as well...but that's not confirmed.

#13 ·
Keith,

Darn you, got me thinking. :D

Got out my "60 years of Chevrolet" by George Dammann and have been searching google images.

The last year for a split windshield on a Chevy was indeed 1952.

It looks like a 1951 or so Chevy Fleetline or Fleetmaster. What is throwing me is those incredibly "tall" rear bumper guards that end in a straight up towered look. The Chevies I've looked at had more of a round top to the rear guards.

Any other experts here ID the old car behind the Camaro?

#16 ·
Ok,

I now believe it appears to be a 1951 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe 4 door
Yep, I think so.
The 51-52 bodies were identical and it LOOKS exactly like the rear of my 51 Chevy that's been my daily driver since 1962.

#21 ·
From what I understand the were close to the boat ramp which they were going to extend and checked with sonar to see if anything was in they way and found the cars.

I can understand (GUESSING) a 16 year old kid driving a new Camaro or even the guy driving the 52 Chev coming down a road that leads directly straight into a boat ramp.

#20 ·
Sorta kinda a related story.
In Okla City MANY, MANY years ago, a mother/daughter disappeared (at night) with NEVER a trace. It was known that the mother and father had been having some issues, so naturally, EVERYONE believed the father killed and eliminated the mother/daughter. Unfortunately (later, it turned out to be fortunate) the father could not be prosecuted nor could it be proven that he did something to them.

Fast forward, MANY, MANY years later. On the north side of OKC an old 2-lane road was upgraded into an expressway. Next to the old 2-lane road was a small lake and the 2-lane road made a sharp jog to go around the small lake. During draining of the small lake to make way for the new expressway, a car was discovered on the bottom of the lake-----------------------------------with the long missing mother/daughter inside. Investigations determined that NO foul play was involved and that because it was at night, the mother missed the jog and drove straight into the lake. She was going fast enough that the car catapaulted far enough over the water and it landed in the deepest part, far enough away from the shore that it could not be seen.
ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL those years, the poor father had to live with the terrible suspicion the he had killed and disposed of his wife and daughter. By the time the mother/daughter were discovered, he was an old man and many of the accusers were deceased, thus VERY, VERY few people (including news media and law enforcement people) made apologies. And the man was very well respected and liked by everyone prior to their disappearance.
They simply missed the turn and drove into the lake!!!

#27 ·
Great point Tom. That kind of stuff does happen. Heard a similar story about a 18-19 year old young wife and mother who disappeared out in the pacific northwest in maybe 1970ish? Never found her until a couple years ago. She too had run off the road into a deep reservoir near the road. No foul play there either.

I think it is plausible that it was a simple drive off into the lake on an unfamiliar road, except for one detail. The picture shows zero front end damage to the Camaro. Look close...not one piece of the front end shows damage. It is hard to imagine they hit the water fast enough to go out that far, and yet didn't even bend the valance panel, break a grill or bend the license plate bracket or bumper. That seems kind of improbable to me. Somehow I just can't reconcile the undamaged front end. But, lot of unknowns here, so any suppositions are highly speculative.

#30 ·
#31 ·
Supposedly the damage on the Camaro occurred during recovery (that was stated in another blog - not sure how reliable the info was.)

A sunken car rolling slowly on a straight section of submerged road with a downhill slope will roll pretty far. Looks like these two did. The physics of a rolling car is fundamentally different from a boat...even underwater. Water does not render a wheel inoperable.

#34 ·
Keep in mind that aerial photo is of Now, think back to what it may have looked like 40 years ago a small one lane road down a small short ramp into the abyss.
Nov 20th 1970 was the coldest night that week with temps in the upper twenties so that water by the ramp may have been starting to freeze. Both cars were found right next to each other 50 feet from the base of the ramp however facing different directions so there is a good chance Ice may have played a factor there .
Here is the weather link.
http://weathersource.com/account/of...-id=18033&latitude=35.3964&longitude=-99.1087

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.