Team Chevelle banner

Installing Head Bolts Question.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  steve_sutherland 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am getting my motor put back together and am getting ready to instal the heads which should be in tomorrow.

I've always been told when installing head bolts, ALWAYS have sealant on the threads and oil on the rest of it.

I was checking out the little slip of paper I got with my new head bolts from Fel-Pro, and it says that since the bolts have sealant on them already, to not use any other sealant or oil.

What do you guys think. I'm thinking doing what Fel-Pro says and just put them in as is. Would you oil them?

#2 · (Edited)
What ever you do make sure you clean all head bolt threads out in block(eps threads into coolent chamber) with some brakleen prior to installing head bolts.

If the threads arent real clean you can have sealing issues with any sealer you use unless maybe Indian Head shellack that's more forgiving when it comes to threads not being as clean as they should be. But a thread sealer like for ex ARP's white teflon based thread sealer must have perectly clean threads on bolts and block of you will be SOL at some point.

If you use the new Felpro head bolts as is with sealer already applied to them i would not add oil to the threads becasue that would likely affect/interfear with the sealers ability to bite /properly adhear to the threads likely resulting in a leak/s later on.

Just ensure block threads are clean and dont use any solvent cleaner on the new head bolts with sealer already on them as that would likely remove or partially the sealer from the new bolts which would not be good.

And use mfg's stock head bolt trq spec since you bought stock rep head bolts from Felpro unless Felpro rec's otherwise.

BTW,i always used Permatex Indian head shellack Sealer on heads bolts but one time in the 38yrs i have been dong this stuff and never ever had a leak with the shellack. But i did a build approx 9 yrs ago using arps teflon based sealer per motors owners request which thanks goodness has not leaked since then. But since then i have seen mult issue's with the teflon bases thread sealers here in team chevelle since then which will make me stick with the indian head shellack sealer for all threaded items i place into area's where water or oil pass thru esp under pressure.

Scott

#3 ·
Alright, yeah I was thnking to go by what Fe;-Pro recommended and not oil them.

And I'll make sure the threads in the block are clean, and I'll check out the Indian Head, thanks a alot :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.