Team Chevelle banner

BBC 496 Hyd. Roller, Patriot or 781 Heads?

27K views 42 replies 12 participants last post by  67RS502 
#1 ·
I need advice please! I have a stroker 496 bbc in a 70 Nova approx. 3300 pounds weekend street strip toy. I have a set of 781 oval ports or maybe buy some new patriot 320cc heads. The oval ports would be with the larger 2.19 / 1.88 valves without any porting if I have them redone. Or just get the new Patriots? I need a hydraulic roller cam, heads, and intake advice. Any videos with Bbc hyd. roller cams at idle would be great! Thanks.
10.5 comp. forged pistons
2 1/8 super comp headers
850 Demon
Th400 3500 Stall
4.11 9 Inch

#2 ·
Why hydraulic roller? Why not solid ft? Just as much or more power, lighter valvetrain to rpm quicker. Good polylocks, check lash once in a while, and you are good to go.

Patriots, if you had the 781's already done, then I would use them. If you are spending money, then I would go Patriots.

#13 ·
I'm running a solid flat tappet, I drive the car all over the place, I've been on this cam for two years, the car is 3860 with my fat @ss in it and I just ran a 10.63 1/4 last week. There is nothing wrong with a solid flat tappet. Just break it in correctly and use the EDM lifters.

#4 ·
Patriots will be an investment and give you future upgrade ability. The 781's are good if fully worked but will have their limit at a point when you could still use the patriot. At this time I am also NOT a fan of the hydraulic roller.

#11 ·
Thank you for the compliment.

I run a solid ft in my truck, no problems what so ever. I have not touched the lash in over a year. I am putting a solid roller in the Chevelle, taking all precautions such as a rev kit, healthy springs, and Isky Red Zone lifter with EZ roll bearing.

Any issues after this, I will go to a solid ft, and would not hesitate to. Today's oils are not that bad off. The last few threads about this issue state that. I just add some STP to my oil changes using either Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo 400 (was last used), and running EDM hole lifters.

#6 ·
About the same set up I run... 3300lbs 500cubes.
Go with a hyd. roller around 250-260 duration.
good single plane
headers are a bit large.
Dont forget the fuel and exhaust system!

#8 ·
how about a solid roller? cheaper than the hydraulic and more power

#10 ·
i dont think it should be that bad in a weekend toy.

I would keep the 781s if they are already worked. maybe spend a few dollars flow testing them to see what they are really capable of.

#16 ·
Lunati

402A7lun -
Adv. -288/296
@.050 -255/263
Lift -.612"/.630"
LSA/ICL -110/104
Lash -.024"/.026"

Solid; Rough idle. Good cam for bracket racing in 396-454 cubic inch motors. Needs 3500 RPM stall converter, headers, 10.5:1 compression ratio and 4.10 gearing.

You can call "The Man" directly who designed it. It will be what I go to if the roller fails in my 496.

Harold Brookshire - 662-562-4933

#17 ·
489 Hydrolic Roller here, .244/.244 .612/.612 (spins up to 6800 no problems and is still pulling) Brodix BBO heads out of the Box (2.25/1.88). 8.5-1 compression. Very healthy sound and makes 570hp at the flywheel before NOS. 650ft/lb torque.

#34 ·
I have the same cam but Iam running 14:1 comp 990GM heads with 2.19/1.88 hopeing it spins to 6800 and hopeing for 650hp/600ft/lb torque guess Iam hopeing for to much. any who one question do you run a rev kit like the comp cams or other brand and do you have roller rockers?

#18 ·
The 402A7 if you go with the Patriot heads.

402A5 if you keep the 781's -

Adv -285/295
@.050 -252/261
Lift -.595"/.595"
LSA/ICL -110/104
Lash -.025"/.025"
Solid; Rough idle. Excellent street/bracket racing cam with very strong mid range and top end torque and horsepower. Needs 3000-3500 RPM stall converter, headers, 10:1 compression ratio or better and 4.10 gearing.

#19 ·
i run a CC 294 solid in my 496. it's been recycled into 3 different engines, no problems. Just use Rotella or Delo oil on break-in and should be good to go. I also have worked over 781's w/ the larger 2.19/1.88. seems to work well, runs out of breath at about 5400-5500 rpm and knocks down low 12's in an understalled 4200 lb pick-up. I've been thinking about going to a more aggressive lunati cam, but the 294 works well for cruising, no brake or idle issues. JMHO. :thumbsup:

294/294 adv. 248/248 @.050" , .595/.595 lift 110 LSA

the lunatis that wildman suggest would be kicka$$ also.

#25 ·
i run a CC 294 solid in my 496. it's been recycled into 3 different engines, no problems. Just use Rotella or Delo oil on break-in and should be good to go. I also have worked over 781's w/ the larger 2.19/1.88. seems to work well, runs out of breath at about 5400-5500 rpm and knocks down low 12's in an understalled 4200 lb pick-up. I've been thinking about going to a more aggressive lunati cam, but the 294 works well for cruising, no brake or idle issues. JMHO. :thumbsup:

294/294 adv. 248/248 @.050" , .595/.595 lift 110 LSA

the lunatis that wildman suggest would be kicka$$ also.
did you use special break in springs? where does one get rotella or delo?

#20 ·
I amo going with a hydro roller only because I want roller and dont want to mess with valve train adjustments. I swapped myput my 781's for sale and bought a set of 990's case I could afford them but if I had it to do over it would be patriots be cause what I spent on the 990's and have them reworked I could have came out about equal to the price of done patriots. I have a run some nice hydrolic and flattappet cams with no problems with blowers nitruos so I say this go with what your budget and hart desires not mater what you will like it. there is no fun like the fun off big cubes and lots of lowend tire melting grunt. enjoy and get the aftermarket heads if you ever go bigger in cubes you will be glad you did.

#22 ·
I would grab the Patriots myself.I have a set on the bench right now and they look great for the money.The sheer weight reduction over the oem irons is worth it to me alone.I will be blowing thru the 2211,s with an 8-71 over 460 cubes.I retired the iron 840,s after dumping $800 into them.Now I wish i had applied that coin to the $1300 Patriots right out of the gate.of course the 320 cc runner and 119 cc chamber will not be friendly on a small cube bbc..but your 496 should gobble them up.My little 460 is getting some help with the 8-71.The off the nose weight and the flow numbers of the patriot head made my decision a no brainer.

#32 ·
Anyone out there willing to share their combos? Has anyone broke in a solid flat tappet cam lately and it didn't fail? Whats the best lifter out there now? Any thoughts on flat tappets going bad or solid roller lifters wipeing out your cam. Should I just save up and go hydraulic roller?

#33 ·
I went hydralic roller cause I dont wanted the problems with ft. Chosed hyd over solid cause of the use and I´m also a little bit lazy do not want to adjust valve lash one or two times/year if I didn´t plan to drive as much as I did I had went solid roller. If you are going hyd roller Morel lifter is the way to go solid roller Isky redzone I was told. Going to start my engine tonight after work so I dont know how it sounds yet. Custom grind 621 616 242 248 112 ls. 489 BB Brodix RR ovals. Also if you´re going roller get the billet core with cast gear.

Marcus

#39 ·
I went hydralic roller cause I dont wanted the problems with ft. Chosed hyd over solid cause of the use and I´m also a little bit lazy do not want to adjust valve lash one or two times/year if I didn´t plan to drive as much as I did I had went solid roller. If you are going hyd roller Morel lifter is the way to go solid roller Isky redzone I was told. Going to start my engine tonight after work so I dont know how it sounds yet. Custom grind 621 616 242 248 112 ls. 489 BB Brodix RR ovals. Also if you´re going roller get the billet core with cast gear.

Marcus
=
Hi Marcus,
Those parts sure do look familiar,, seems I remember putting them in some boxes a while back,,,, :D
Good to hear you are getting close, hope everything goes good.

Thanks again for allowing us to help you with your project :beers:

#38 ·
I scrolled 3 times down the Lunati cam listings and couldn't find your cam. I will call Lunati and see if they can help me. What RPM are you shifting at with that cam? Are you running regular springs or beehives, steel or titanium retainers? I am amazed your 049 heads get you to 10.08 qtr. times they had to be worked by a pro. Which intake you running? Sorry for all the questions but you seem to have your sh*t together and I would like to have something similar with my 496. One more thing does yor cam have a pretty radical idle because I was going to go with the largest Voodoo but it seems a little wimpy. Thanks!

#41 ·
You wont find it in a catalog, its a custom deal.
Shift at 6700.
Double spring with dampner, dont remember the press.
Steel ret.
I'm sure some real heads would pick it up 100hp.
Dart oval-port with plenum work, + 2 spacers.
Only pulls around 5" of vac at 700rpm in gear, yea idle could be better.
Whole combo is on my webpage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.