Team Chevelle banner

what's it cost to have a concrete pad poured these days?

53K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Peloose 
#1 ·
We're looking at moving soon, and I need to figure the cost of building a garage in to how much we can spend. I can do the actual building myself, but I want to hire out the slab. How much can I expect to pay for a 25 x 40 with excavation?

#3 ·
Hey Andy..I was looking at a porch and the concrete alone was $75 a sq. yard, that was the cheapest If I did it myself....I do have a contractor friend that might be able to hook you up..He has worked for Levine & Poor for about 25 years and does side work all the time..might be worth the call...:D

#4 ·
Beats the crap out of me, Brad, that's why I'm hiring someone :)

Rob, that would be outstanding. We're not ready to buy in yet, I'm just trying to figure out how much house we can afford, taking into consideration my growing collection of Buicks :)

Just looking for a ballpark. What, $6-7K?

#5 ·
Here in this area, which will be diffrent throughout the country, but in this area we are at $3.50 per sq. ft. for 6" thick slab, plus the extra for the grade beam if thats what you will be doing. I suspect down there you can do a grade beam. That will add a few grand to the cost. So figure up here it would run about $3500 for the slab, and maybe another $1500 or so for the grade beam, so $5000 area.

Excavation costs here average about $150 per hour the machine runs. To excavate a 1000 sq. ft. plus dig the grade beam wouldn't take much more than a few hours and a couple trucks of 3/4" crusher run. Maybe a grand for that as well.

Edit: I know where you can find an electrician to wire it for you, he is always looking for excuses to get away anyways :D

Jeff

#6 ·
The 25X40 slab at 4" thick should take around 13 yards. You will need to add a little more for the footings. I haven't seen 3000 psi concrete for less than $100 in the last few years. You need to decide if you want rebar or wire mesh or go with the fiberglass reinforced concrete. My guess would be around $2500 to $3000 to grade, form and pour the concrete. That price included the contractor supplying all materials.
James

#9 ·
Ah ok, so perhaps $3k for the work, $1500 for the concrete.

I think a 4" slab would be sufficient, my awesome collection of Buicks and pickle bucket roadsters isn;t that heavy :)

#7 ·
I think the slab was about $4500 for the 20 x 24 I had done in 2001. I can't remember if it had a grade beam or not, I think it did

#11 ·
3000psi crete might be $100 a sq. yard now, but I can not see 7k in crete for a shop...I was going to do a back drive in my lot for my 5th wheel and it was going to cost $3800 and that was curb cut, and a washed slab 4" thick 75'x20' and I wasn't going to touch any of it..

#13 ·
Wow, you guys have cheap concrete and labor down there. I need to move.

Jeff

#12 ·
Mike you gotta stop showing those guys the 66 until after you receive the bids........For that price I would want footers.....5 courses of 12" block and a thermal heating and cooling loop in the slab. I have always brought the block up high enough that I can bring a hose inside with no fear of wetting the studded walls or Sheetrock. It cuts down on the length of the lumber needed for tall ceilings as well. I visited a friend last year up north who had the heated slab system installed and he used a wood stove with a coil and circulator pump......It was sweet

#16 ·
I had my slab done 4-5 years ago for my garage. 25 x 40 and a 24 x 6 sloped apron on the front.
Total of $6000.00. This was fiberglass reinforced.
I have 13" thick of cement at the footer up one 40' side due to slope. 7 inches thick on the other side. Cement is 4-6 inches thick in the middle. 5 loads of gravel. Didn't do any grading beforehand. Part of the gravel was for connection to my existing driveway.
Price was for all labor and material. I did personally know the cement dispatcher, cement former/finisher, and dump truck driver. Thought I got a pretty good deal.

#18 ·
I just recently had a 12-6'' by 24-6" slab done at work with a monolithic pour, 6" thick 5000 psi mix with 3/8" American made epoxy coated re bar on 12" centers on chairs both directions for 2400.00. Done by an all American work force. And steel prices are thru the roof. A few years ago I couldn't find a good contractor around here during the condo boom, now with the economy in the tank they are all looking and needing work.

#20 ·
Where are you trying to move too Andy...If your selling a house I wish you the best as ours has been on market for 18 months now...seems like everyone wants me to give it too them....I still appraise for more than I owe but my appraisal now is 30k less than when I built in 2002..:sad:

#21 ·
We're looking out east, not Germantown east, but east Memphis. We're in midtown now, I don't think we'll have much trouble selling, midtown is doing well in that respect, especially where we are, what with the Sears building and the new Target and condos nearby.

We can afford a bigger house in a better neighborhood, with a bigger garage, now that there are more people (3) and more cars (5)

#22 ·
I truly wish you the best, we have 300 homes in my neighborhood,I think last count with HOA was 99 for sale and like 54 of them where forclosures. Good luck Dude :thumbsup: When you get ready for a quote though ring my pm and I'll ask my friend what he can do it for...He's a fellow hot rodder also so the more he likes your cars the cheaper maybe?? :disco:

#23 ·
Your talking about Andy he will hire only illegals :D
What ever you do Andy if you want it to last atleast make it 6" thick and use rebar and wire mesh dont waste your time with the fiberglass.
Also remember to have them saw cut it at least 2" 2 1/2"deep and 12' x 10' sections.
I would use 3/4 rock mix 3500psi with no fly ash.
The size of the rock gives you 80% of your strength in the mix.
pipe down over there, what do you think we're building, a swimming pool? :D

#24 ·
for my barn which isnt the biggest at 95x30 my quotes are from 12-25 6in thick with steel rod. This is in Ca.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.