Team Chevelle banner

QQ plates in NJ?

11K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  SixActual 
#1 ·
I recently got insurance through Haggerty for my '72 in NJ, what must I do to get QQ plates to avoid having to go through full inspection and stuff?

#2 ·
I just got plates (QQ historical) for my 65 SS and I did NOT have to take it to inspection for any reason :noway:. Insurance was thru American Collectors (just had to have a few pictures). :yes:

#3 ·
Drive up to Trenton one day and get the tags, it takes all of about 15 minutes. You have to go to the office at 250 E. State Street to get the historic plates. You can also do it via mail but it takes longer. FYI, you CANNOT get QQ plates at just any local DMV. I still need to go up there and get the tags for the Charger.

#6 ·
Typical jersey BS. I lived there for 18 years, and haven't been back since I left. We can do all plate changes, check on vanity plates, everything except title transfers online. Of course tags here cost way to much, my 1 year old truck is now down to $560 for the 08 plate.

#11 ·
In the 8 years my 70 has been tagged, I've never been bothered and I'm 27. I don't use it every day, just randomly when it's nice out, I'll drive it to work. I've also gotten tired of other morons on the road trying to engage me in that car so I have cut back on how often I drive it. I don't need that hassle.

#12 ·
Do yourself a favor......Go to the NJ DMV website and look at collector vehicle. you go to the DMV pay 35$, go to the inspection station and they verify your odometer works. there is no inspection and you are limited to 2000 miles a year. you get the benefits of QQ but dont have to go through the hastle of getting them. I did this on my 67 after it failed emissions on a brand new engine. it literally took me 5 minutes to get the collector sticker. also where in NJ are you from. I am in Blairstown in warren county.

#18 ·
Some one said, In Pennsylvania with antique plates you are not allowed to drive at night. Wrong !! If the antique car that the plates are on MEETS the current lighting and state requirements to accept a standard " PA. " State inspection. You are good to go. Also it cannot be used as your daily transportation.
In Pa. a vehicle must be " 25 " years old. For antique plates. In other words, A 1982 G.M. , Ford, Mopar with antique plates would be legal at night, A 1909 vehicle may not have the CANDLE POWER in the headlights or Tailights to be seen at night and/or H.P. to maintain Min. road speed. I have Antique plates on both of my 70s Never have had a problem.
Bob:thumbsup:

#19 ·
Also with QQ plates in NJ:

1. One time fee only, never pay for renewals
2. Little known law: no front plate required.

After filling out the application for mt two cars, I don't think I waited a little more than a week for the plates to arrive.

#26 ·
Also with QQ plates in NJ:

1. One time fee only, never pay for renewals
2. Little known law: no front plate required.

After filling out the application for mt two cars, I don't think I waited a little more than a week for the plates to arrive.
I have yet to find #2 in writing, though I have heard this from so many people that I tried it myself a year ago. So far I've had no trouble but I carry the 2nd plate under the passenger's seat just in case.

#20 ·
Do you NEED to get QQ plates if you have classic car insurance? The problem is that it *will* pass inspection if I leave it at local shop and they work their ***'s off for a few days, but as the guy there said "It's only going to get harder to get it to pass". I'm guessing there are no alternatives though, its either put QQ's on and hope the cops don't care when your driving it, or don't and hope it passes inspection (emissions is the issue obviously)

#21 ·
Just an FYI, don't put QQ tags on it and don't put classic insurance on it if you intend on using it everyday, the only one you are screwing is yourself. If something were to happen IE an accident when you are doing something with the car you aren't suppose to be doing with it, you will get dropped in a hearbeat and lose the ability to register a car historic.
I also disagree with the fact that it will get harder to pass, that's a load of BS. The emission specs for the older cars do not change. They are tested on the standard of the year of manufacture of the car. THey don't even bother to do the dyno test on 1981-newer cars in NJ anymore (big waste of money that was). All your car will get is an idle sniff test. If your mechanic knows what he is doing, it shouldn't be a problem to tune the car properly so the emissions are well within spec.

#23 ·
Are we saying it's better to get an Agreed Value policy with someone like State Farm rather than classic insurance from someone like Hagerty or JC Taylor to name a few...?

MJribeiro, you mentioned "in case of a total loss", would that be the only determining reason to go with an Agreed Value policy? What about a minor fender bender?

Thanks guys,
Sam

#24 ·
You still want agreed value for repairs. If you have all original sheet metal, you'd want a skilled person to repair/patch the metal so you retain the 'original' panel. That would be more money than a private passenger vehicle policy (PPV) would pay - they would only pay for the cheapest way to repair the fender. Classic coverage with most companies allows you to choose who does the repair and how. So its up to you, if you don't care how the repair turns out then go with a standard policy. If you want it repaired to higher standards, go with AV.

JC Taylor, Hagerty, & Grundy are insurance agents. State Farm, Chubb, & Farmers are insurance companies or carriers - they actually carry the risk. The agents (retailers) sell the products of the companies (wholesalers). In many cases the agents have helped craft & tune the products (policies) over time. So kudos to all of you agents out there who have listened to your customers, and helped steer the carriers! The carriers are actually who you need to understand better since their financial strength, customer service, claims paying history, and policy wording are what is important to us in the hobby. To draw an analogy to our hobby, we all ask our friends who makes the best xyz part for our cars. They will respond back with a manufacturers name and the pros and cons of the product. If we're convinced it's the one we want, we then ask where they got it - (which retailer). I guess my point is that you should ask your agent for the name of the carrier they are going to place your policy with. If your someone who wants to know the details, your research should center on the product not the retailer. I'm not saying to bypass your agent. They are very knowledgeable and are working on your behalf. Just make sure you understand who you will be dealing with in case of a claim. I'd rather see everyone go with an AV policy no matter who it's with - of course I'd selfishly like you to go with my company!

#28 ·
I'm thinking about getting QQ Plates and in caes you are checknig this thread, I did notice on the NJ MVC website that 2 plates are (now) required if vehicle is newer than 1945:

Historic vehicles
General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be:
  • At least 25 years old
  • Specially registered and display QQ plates (1945 and earlier models are required to display one plate on the rear of the vehicle. 1946 and newer models will be issued two plates and both plates must be displayed, one on the front and one on the back of the vehicle).

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspections/VehiclesExempt.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.