Team Chevelle banner

750 hp on the street

8K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  wvnova 
#1 ·
has to run on pump gas and have a hyd roller. what would your set up be? i'm new to this board and after alot of google bbc searches this forum kept showing up. i respect your guys knowledge here after reading lots of threads. i have a 69 nova that weighs 3600 with driver a tko 600 and 4:10s in the 12 bolt. stock rear suspension. i want a kick a** street car. i currently have a world products 509 merlin [ i think its the only crate motor they have built that has been trouble free] that is supposed to make 575 hp @5800 and 595 tq @3500.i don't want to go to a solid roller because the car is currently undergoing a custom resto. and oil running all over the motor and subframe while adjusting the valve lash isn't happening. i don't plan on racing the car since there is no dragstrip close.

#2 ·
oil running all over the motor and subframe while adjusting the valve lash isn't happening?
You do know the lash is adjusted without the motor running and with shaft rockers you'll hardly ever have to adjust them.I do not get oil spray on my car.

#4 ·
Mike Lewis forged 540/555 cu in 10:5:1
AFR 335
Chris Straub Soild roller and morel lifters
T and D shaft rockers
Victor jr intake
Pro systems hp 1000 carb

That should get you close for starters
That should do it!

#5 ·
I don't think you need 750 for a kick ass street car Dave. You won't be able to hook that anyway unless you want to do long smokey burouts, especially with a stick car...it would work for that...

750 would be a big stretch for a HR, not saying it couldn't done but a big stretch (and probably expensive). Any reason you chose that number? If you're at 575 now even going to 650/675 would be night and day and that's doable cost effectively....JMO...

#7 ·
Save your money IMO. I actually don't think you would be able to tell the difference between 575 and 675 on the street. The tires are going to INSTANTLY light up with either combo and I doubt spinning the tires with 675 HP is any quicker than spinning them with 575. Maybe they stop breaking loose at 95 instead of 85 from a roll.:p

#11 ·
Procharger....Making more HP than guys can put through street tires since they started making 'em. I dont see you getting there any easier unless you slap a plate on it and spray it to 750hp. Any other way is going to cost you some substantial money and make the car more rowdy to drive than most would like with a stick and 4.10s. Plus you can step away from the tall gears and put some 3.55's in there to make it a little more livable to drive on the highway. Just my thoughts.

#12 ·
Basic 540/555 will do 750+ easily with a good Hyd roller and some CNC AFR 335's or Dart 335's or better. You can do it with a solid flat tappet also. Peak HP RPM will come in around 6300-6500 or so depending on cam. They really like the bigger intakes and carbs. That will get you over 800.

Solid roller is worth another 25-30 HP.

Mainly depends on RPM you want to be in.

JIM

#15 ·
thnx for the replies ,750 at the tires would be awesome. what combos would you go with to get there [750 @ the flywheel]. afrs are in the cards so is a solid roller. how about a rotating assembly, cam , intake ,carb and anything i'm missing. seriously i don't care i want rubber in all 5 gears. when that happens then i'll try to hook it up:yes:

#16 ·
Call up Mike Lewis, he's a machine shop owner and regular member on this board, under the name wolfplace. He would be a great contact to get you in that range.

#18 ·
I consider mine very streetable and I can easily light the tires until I let out in all three gears. Even rolling along at 50mph it is will easily break them loose. :thumbsup:

Contact Mark Jones or Mike Lewis either will set you up and at a much better price than a crate motor. :yes:

#20 ·
so with valve lash not really being a problem with solid rollers and shaft rockers , why would anyone use a hyd roller? thanks for the references on mike lewis. i have a local builder with a sterling reputation like mike's . i have talked to mike b4 i posted this so i kinda of narrowed it down to mike and my local guy. when i talked to mike i was considering reher / morrison but for what i want mike was a good bit cheaper. rm has a 565 that makes 800 hp for about $18000.

#22 ·
there's no reason whatever for anybody that knows what they're doing to adjust valves with the engine running. that's a part of the past.

#25 ·
To build a 632 right takes some work and $$$. Just getting it balanced can be interesting..and then the oil pan etc etc. For sure it can be done and they are a heck of a lot of fun.....but everything just needs to get bigger and bigger!

But a 632 with some tight gears and converter would really set you back in the seat!

Then you can add some boost on top of that!

JIM

#26 ·
Well I'll throw my vote into this hunt. Steller service,super to deal with honest to a fault. You will get a good deal. I told Mike bad manners will be tolerated.

#27 ·
I don't recall exactly how many horses Rowdy's car has, but that Lewis/Rowdy 540 packs a punch and Rowdy drives it all over Vegas, it's quite entertaining to ride shotgun when he goes down the street for cigs. Inspiring.

#39 ·
YUP!!!!! Like 753HP/672TQ.... It's a blast and will hit the 7600 limiter faster than you can blink. With 3.55 gears too!!! It IS inspiring, he convinced me that I didn't need 4.10 gears lol. Stuck with my 3.73's.

#30 ·
Ok so a 632 a couple of bucks more. I would just let the balancing and machinig issues be Carl @ CNC North East or Mike Lewis's problem. Heck those two just love a challange. Every time you got used to the power you could do like Jim said ad some boost. Sorry like I told you guys there is something wrong with me lately 1,000 HP just seems to common. I need more. Am I a junkie?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.