Team Chevelle banner

Lift Body off Frame with Cherry Picker?

8K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  QuickSilver70 
#1 ·
I really can't get enough people together to come over and lift the body with me, but i do have an inexpensive cherry picker.

Whats the best way to lift the body (no glass or interior) with 2 people and a cherry picker?

-Ryan

#2 ·
Check out my webite under 'assembly'- www.zefhix.com
I managed to use the cherry picker with a chain that had hooks on each end. i put the hooked ends in the hole directly above the first body mounts at the firewall. I then used a 3 ton jack with a concrete block on it under the trunk pan where it meets the rear (be careful where you jack back there!!). Then I alternated between pumping the front and rear and it was actually alot safer and easier than I imagined. However, I would find a better way of supporting the body when the frame is out. My way worked and still does but....I think I might do it differently next time. In fact, now that I think about it the concrete blocks were a stupid idea too but they worked....oh well.
Be careful. :cool:

#3 ·
Originally posted by QuickSilver70:
I really can't get enough people together to come over and lift the body with me, but i do have an inexpensive cherry picker.

Whats the best way to lift the body (no glass or interior) with 2 people and a cherry picker?

-Ryan
Get 2 chains, make a loop and the top {middle of the 2 chains} so that the chains don't move.... then attach the 4 ends to the outter most seat belt bolts. They are BEEFY SOBS, and will hold that car with no trouble, UNLESS your floor braces are rotted badly. Anyway, just pick it on up with the picker. We did this with my SS and it worked like a charm.

#4 ·
Originally posted by zefhix:
In fact, now that I think about it the concrete blocks were a stupid idea too but they worked
Yeah, I was loading a 48' trailer once that somebody supported on cinderblocks. I got a few pallets in before the one of the blocks disintigrated and the pallet jack slammed me into the wall of the trailer. Luckily the pallet i was putting in at the time was light - compared to the 2 ton pallet of fertilizer that i had just put in. Im sure cinderblocks were fine for supporting the rear of the body (about 2-300lbs), but they do have thier limits ;) .

Im gonna take the lift and a jack out to the car today and see which method would be easier for me.

Thanks for the help, I'll post my results soon.

-Ryan

#5 ·
I did it the same way as described above, by myself. Not hard at all. Used 4 blocks on each corner and 2 4x4s.

Easy, had to use 3 blocks first then lifted one end to get the 4th block in and did the other end the same way. One end at a time. No jack under trunk with blocks. Lifted front put it on the 3 blocks with 4x4, then lifted the rear onto 4 blocks and 4x4 then repeat on the front. Just hooked the cherry picker into the trunk latch bracket on the rear. Still on the blocks right now. Could take a pic if needed. Have enough room to roll frame out and in as needed.

Good luck

#6 ·
I lifted mine using a cherry picker. I just borrows 2 long cargo straps from work and wrapped them around the body in 2 spots. Then I just lifted the body right up. I used the same method to put the body back on the car also.

#8 ·
These body off posts are the most creative I really enjoy reading all the different techniques Not proud of it but I did mine with bottle jacks Ps Q silver think it's hard finding guys to remove body ? wait until you need a few to put it back on ,I never realized all my buddies had bad backs
GOOD LUCK and B-CAREFUL!!!!!!!!

#9 ·
I always use 55 gallon drums and 2x6's. It gives you lots of room to roll the frame in and out, plus lots of room to crawl around under it. Usually with the car totally apart, one person can lift either end of the car while two people move the drums and boards.

#10 ·
Well thanks for the help guys, the body is off the ground and the frame is out from under it.

I used Z's method only because I feared it tilting too much with only the cherry picker, so i used a jack for a third point under the trunk.

Its resting on 4 blocks for each corner and 4 in the middle with 2x12's arcoss them so its stable enough for me to clean off the loose rust undeneath and POR-15 it before setting it back down on the new chassis i have waiting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.