So I wired my alternator wrong... - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

Old Aug 22nd, 05, 11:46 PM
Tech Team

Default So I wired my alternator wrong...

After getting the wiring on my car (1970 camaro) pretty much buttoned up and sorted out I had to take her out to get exhaust work done. The two weeks before this I left my red top Optima hooked up and all was fine. The headlights worked when I turned them on and the car would turn over and start.

The day came when I had to load it up to get my exhaust done. So i went to start it, and I got nothing. No crank, no lites, it was dead. So I pushed it out and boosted it with my jeep. This kept it running for maybe a minute and then it would sputter and die. I was able to start it up a couple more times, but each time it died, then after that it just wouldn't turn over. I was mad.

I did the internal regulator conversion to the car. I was surfing through old posts on this site looking for tips. I thought something was draining my battery. I went out to my car and pulled the neg. cable off the battery and checked for a drain with a test light, nothing. I remember a couple of posts about people wiring the alternator wrong when doing the conversion, so I checked mine, and sure enough I had #1 and #2 connectors wired backwards.

I quickly fixed this, charged the battery for awhile, and then started the car up. Now it would run and idle fine, no stalling. I checked the battery with a multimeter and it read about 15 volts.

So what I really want to know is while the #1 and #2 wires were mixed up, what exactly was happening in my charging system?

Also, THANK YOU for the information. This is by far the best electrical forum for chevy's out there.
<b>Jeff<br /><a href="http://members.shaw.ca/JeffZ28/jpgs/jeffzed2.jpg" target="_blank">1970 Bigblock Z28</a><br /><i><a href="http://members.shaw.ca/irocz/images/stash.jpg" target="_blank">Better than Sex</a></i><br /></b>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 23rd, 05, 4:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Greg

Send a message via AIM to undee70ss
Default Re: So I wired my alternator wrong...

When wired correctly....Power off the IGN switch goes through the GEN bulb and out to terminal 1 at the alternator. When the cars not running, terminal 1 is grounded, lighting the GEN light. As soon as the car is started, voltage is applied to terminal 1. Voltage is now on both sides of the GEN bulb (its no longer grounded) turning off the GEN light. Terminal 2 is the sense line, it is wired to battery power ( always hot) at the main junction (usually near the horn relay).............
Now to answer your question, you had terminal 1 wired with the sense wire, which is always hot, and terminal 1 is grounded when the cars not running. To the alternator, its the same thing as turning the key on and never starting the car when wired correctly. The alternator was using power through terminal 1 and thats what killed your battery. You got nothing with the test light because the battery was already dead. 15 volts is a little high but the battery's probably not fully charged. test it again when the battery's fully charged, should be 14-14.5 volts. You really should charge the battery with a battery charger, the alternator will be putting out max (which is not good and can kill the alternator) Till the battery's charged some. Is that a good enough explanation?

MY 70SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Electrical & Wiring      Current Topic: So I wired my alternator wrong...
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.