Need Indoor Car Cover Recommendation for Black Car - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

Old Dec 27th, 12, 2:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Default Need Indoor Car Cover Recommendation for Black Car

Finally have a Dupont Jet Black paint job completed ( 4 years! ) on the 66 Chevelle and now I'd like to store the car in the garage safely under cover. Any recommendatons? Include old sheets, bedspreads, techniques etc. whatever works to minimize paint scratches....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 27th, 12, 5:50 AM
Senior Tech Team

Default Re: Need Indoor Car Cover Recommendation for Black Car

You're really asking for it putting anything on a black car. Old sheets and bedspreads are abrasive and any car cover will become abrasive with a single spec of dust. Just build a sealed glass box and put your car in there, it'll keep the paint looking great. Or, come to the realization that every time you cover, uncover, wash and dust that paint you'll be scratching it up. Good news is, there are some great detailing products out there that get rid of a lot of it.
Old Dec 27th, 12, 7:42 AM
Tech Team
Gary

If you're just looking for dust protection, there are some soft lined covers , but as mentioned any cover will scrath going on/off. I bought my car last year and previous owner gave me a cotton cover that was on it, and we always try using two people to uncover the car. I like the glass box idea, that would be cool! I wish I had thought of plexi when I walled mine off. We have a 30 x 40 barn, and in the spring we noticed every time the door went up to bring the DD's in, the Chevelle would get soaked. I see you're in Cal. so you probably don't have that issue, but now I don't worry about things falling on it either. If you have the room, wall it off from ther rest of the garage. I would not want to cover a black car all the time, after driving it you have to clean it before the cover goes on and there are times I just don't feel like cleaning mine as soon as I get home. I'm sure that black car is a beauty!

Here was my solution...still a work in progress. 10x18 and only for parking it, I roll it back into the rest of the garage to do work on it.

Gary

Old Dec 27th, 12, 8:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

I agree on with the previous comments about putting a cover on a black car and the risk of inducing small scuffs.

That being said, I have 3 different car covers now (from California Cover to Covercraft - probably $1000 just in covers.) and finally found one that I actually does not concern me with scratching, scuffing, or creating micro-marring in the paint because I am extremely particular about the finish on my car.

It is made by Covercraft but I believe I ordered it from Griot's garage. It is a form-fitting cover that has a spandex stretch exterior with an interior that I can only describe as super-luxe soft fleece. Many of my microfiber towels are not as soft as the interior of this cover. The fact that the cover is form-fitted means it will not be flapping around in the wind if the garage door is open which can create small swirls in the paint from the rubbing action. I will no longer use my California cover after having owned this one.

Old Dec 27th, 12, 11:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcel

I guess if you have the cash...

http://www.thegreenhead.com/2007/12/...age-bubble.php

69 Camaro set up for ProTouring AFR headed 383, Viper T56, Currie 12 bolt, Wilwood 4 wheel disks, Global West suspension

56 Chevy Pro Street, Tube Chassis, 509, AFR 325 Heads, Comp 322-CR-10, 400 w/brake, crazy coffee getter.

13 Road Glide Custom
11 BMW 535i x-drive
98 F150
00 S2000
01 BMW K1200 LTE
Old Dec 27th, 12, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

My suggestion with a black car is do some research on swirl remover. You'll probably need it. Black is a top three color IMHO but probably the hardest to keep looking top notch.
Old Dec 27th, 12, 12:49 PM
Team Member
Rudy

I have a 2010 black Camaro which is a beast to keep clean and dust free. I have found that the best indoor cover is an old parachute, it is very lightweight and easy to put on the Camaro, my wife grabs a hold of one side I grab a hold of the other and just float the cover onto the car and when taking it off we do the same thing, we never have to drag the cover on the black paint it works great and relatively cheap. To clean the cover we just take it outside and shake it off in the breeze and all the dust is gone from the cover.
72 VW Convertible
83 GMC POW/MIA Drag Truck
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3230084
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3230123
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3231524
Old Dec 27th, 12, 9:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

I have a single stage black paint job that is really soft. I use a Wolf Dustop cover and it does a good job of not scratching the paint. I've had it about 4 years now. I think Covercraft and others offer the same "Dustop" material.

If your paint is brand new, I think you're supposed to wait so many months before covering it. Might want to look into that.
Built 12 bolt 4:11

Pics
Video
Old Dec 27th, 12, 11:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

Well the body paint is 2 years old, doors and trunk about 1 year old, fenders (front) are fresh and I am gonna wait 3 months to cover...Still got to paint the hood/hood scoops. Eric (Fleming 23 above) Canyou stick an antenna hole in it? Or do you need to order it like that? Where did you find it? Phil (Slick 71Ss) same questions?
Old Dec 28th, 12, 8:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bad Brad

Location: NSB Or Daytona Beach Shark Bite Capitol of the World

If your worried about any future possible scratches this stuff is the bomb for it.

http://store.jaxwax.com/Jax-Wax-Swirl-Remover-p/sr.htm
2009 AACA 1st Place National Junior Award
2009 AACA National Senior Award
ACES Chevellabration Top 3
2010 AACA First Place Grand National Award

Old Dec 28th, 12, 10:44 AM
Tech Team
Kevin

I just got a Covercraft Dustop cover and it is awesome. Soft fleece on the inside and form fitting. I would worry about covering a black car as stated above but with careful application of the cover you should be ok.

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
FAST EZ EFI
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Jake's Performance 200-4R
Old Dec 28th, 12, 10:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64tempestwagon View Post
Canyou stick an antenna hole in it? Or do you need to order it like that?
Steve: I'm quite sure you can put an antenna hole in any cover. My car doesn't have an antenna so my cover doesn't need a hole but if I did I would just acquire a fabric grommet, then locate and cut my hole, then use a latex adhesive to treat the edges of the cut hole from unraveling. At that point I would either sew the grommet to the cover or use the latex adhesive to bond the grommet to the cover.
if that sounds like something you can't or don't want to do a sewing shop or an upholstery shop could do that for you.
Old Dec 28th, 12, 10:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug Davis

My wife gave me an Auto Armour cover for Christmas. It is form-fitting and has a fleece lining. It is much better than the Tyvek cover that's been on my car for the last 4 years and rubbed the paint off of the rear-quarter extension corners.
12 Bolt Eaton Posi w/3:73's
Team Chevelle Member # 3540
Old Dec 28th, 12, 11:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

If it's indoors, why the cover ?? Unless there is other activity in the garage that creates excessive dust or moisture, I think the risk of buggerin' up the car with a cover is worse than a little dust or spider crap that can be removed with a duster or spot spray polish ?? I'm more concerned with something falling or banging into the car while in the garage, which a cover offers little protection. I say leave it uncovered
Old Dec 28th, 12, 11:57 AM
Tech Team
Travis

Go to the paint store and buy some Visqueen. Comes in a roll 12' by 400'. Plastic off the car. When done throw it away and start over.
Eagle rotating assembly
KB mid dome pistons
18"/20" Boss wheels
Build thread
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306688
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Information Exchange > Chevelle Tech      Current Topic: Need Indoor Car Cover Recommendation for Black Car
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.