Vintage air heat issues - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Heating & Cooling Heating, cooling and air conditioning

Old Dec 27th, 12, 9:18 PM
Tech Team
jamie

Default Vintage air heat issues

I recently installed a vintage air setup in my 69 chevelle. The heat has yet to work correctly. I checked to make sure the heater control valve is opening by unhooking the line from the water pump and blowing through the hose. Water came out of the fitting in the pump while the key was turned on. When I switched to AC mode nothing came through. I do not have the AC lines hooked up yet for the system if that makes any difference. Sometimes when I first cut on the fan it blows hot air for a minute or so then it turns cold.
Any ideas guys?
1976 Corvette Stingray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 27th, 12, 11:01 PM
Tech Team
Ed

Default Re: Vintage air heat issues

I hope you are not running this with the compressor dry. I installed a V.A. system on my '68 and it works perfect.
Old Dec 28th, 12, 12:40 AM
that Nova Guy

Where do you have the hoses attached? If in the wrong spot you will not have water circulating through the heater core. One needs to be in the intake (pressure feed line) and the other to the water pump or radiator (return points). Attaching to the water pump and radiator gives no flow.
Old Dec 29th, 12, 7:22 AM
Tech Team
jamie

No its not running dry I dont have the compressor mounted yet. One line runs to the intake and one to the water pump. If they are hooked up backwards would it affect heating?
1976 Corvette Stingray
Old Dec 29th, 12, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bryan

Should not really affect the heating.

Perhaps the valve is not opening all the way.
Might want to check to see that you have power to it and that it is grounded correctly.
I have heard of them failing.
You should be able to hear it open and close by moving the temp lever. (not sure, I will go out and check in a bit)
I also mounted this valve where I could service it easily if needed ----not tucked under the fender where it could not be seen.

My car runs pretty darn cold when the temps outside are low----so it takes a long time to get any heat, and the heat that does come out is not hot-----more of a warmish.
The heater in my pickups will cook you right out.

59 ElCamino 454/TKO 5spd--(daddy)
66 ElCamino 3oh7/TKO 5spd (mousey) Almost done On the street now!!!
65 Ranchero v8/4-spd, that my uncle bought new
Old Dec 29th, 12, 1:18 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Where do you have the hoses attached? If in the wrong spot you will not have water circulating through the heater core. One needs to be in the intake (pressure feed line) and the other to the water pump or radiator (return points). Attaching to the water pump and radiator gives no flow.
One Vintage Air System I had used TWO 5/8 dia. heater hoses. You literally had to swap the 3/4 GM outlet on the engine...I think it was the manifold but it was a while ago, from a 3/4 nipple to a 5/8 nipple and get a 2nd length of 5/ 8 heater hose.

GM used one 3/4 hose and one 5/8. When you get to both lines being 5/8 it seems to me it becomes easy to swap the hoses in such a way that the water can be supplied to the core from the WRONG engine manifold / water pump source. I can't say what is gonna happen when what should be the "suppled" side of the heater core becomes the "outlet" side of the heater core. All I can say for sure is that it is easier to reverse the hoses at the core when they are both the same size at the engine end.
Old Dec 29th, 12, 3:00 PM
Tech Team
jamie

I can't hear the valve opening just a click from the relay so maybe it is malfunctioning. My car runs around 170 deg. It is opening some though because I was able to blow pressure through the lines.
1976 Corvette Stingray
Old Jan 1st, 13, 12:21 PM
Tech Team
jamie

I fixed the issue by swapping the heater hoses around which for some reason were hooked up backwards. I guess this system must flow one direction in order to heat properly. The line is running from the intake through Hcv to heater core then out to the water pump. Once the engine heats to around 130 it starts to blow warm and by the time 180 comes around it is hot. Works very well compared to the factory single vent under the dash..ha
1976 Corvette Stingray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Heating & Cooling      Current Topic: Vintage air heat issues
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.