Might as well call it a build thread..... - Page 6 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Beaumonts & Canadian Built

Old Mar 25th, 12, 7:14 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

Default Re: Might as well call it a build thread.....

Forgot to add, went for a quick drive. Got some serious vibration that wasnt there before. Did some checking, ended up changing the U joints(front one was shot). Pretty well ended all vibration, other than a hint when you manually downshift it. But all in all with everything done, its like driving a new car. It seems to corner flat and plant real good when you launch it

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 26th, 12, 7:48 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

Well i figured there wasnt something quite right with the T/A sway bar, after a bit of staring after school today. I realized the bar may be upside down, so I flipped it around and turns out it fits and the front end sits like it used too

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
Old Apr 9th, 12, 5:10 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

Well finally the lockright took a dump , so I ordered up a Eaton Posi. Put it in sunday, matched the old pattern/backlash pretty close to the old one. Seems to work pretty nice now, should have just put a eaton in from the start.

Also 1 of those screws is pulling out where the sway bar mount is. So guess Ill end up welding nuts in the frame and being done with it

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
Old Apr 13th, 12, 9:47 AM
Tech Team
Chris

what happened with the lock right setup?
HP and ET not determined yet!
Old Apr 14th, 12, 4:12 AM
Tech Team
Jesse

So far im 2 for 2 on lockrights, blew one up in my Dana 60 in my 83 chev. Both due to worn out carriers. If I would have had a fresh lockright with the new carrier all would be well.

Basically the teeth round off and the spring/shear pin pockets break out. Than under hard load it just desengages and slips.

Today I put a hidden fm antenna on, some ac delco 6x9's and finally wired the voltmeter in after 2 years. What cheesed me is I forgot I got shorted one light when I bought the gauges

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
Old Jul 27th, 12, 4:57 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

Update:

Rear end is holding together just fine.

Just swapped the fan belt over to a 80's serpentine style that still uses the V belt as a power steering belt. Finally Im able to rev it over 6000 RPM and keep the belts on it. Also since I put my fan shroud on, ive been having a hard time finding a fan that would clear. I got a 3 blade off the same truck I got the pulleys from, had to trim the blades down about a half inch. It just clears the shroud, and I dont have to worry about a flex fan exploding. The clutch seems weak, but the motor seems to cool just fine. Worst case ontario Ill swap it out for one of the many like new ones ive got sitting in my parts pile.

Also had one headlight adjust break, so I changed it. While having the grill out I noticed my core support is pushed back on the drivers side. Not sure if its straightenable or time for a new one at this point. So I opted to leave my mint grill out and put the cracked one back in, but I put all 4 headlight bezels one and the Pontiac Spear. Looks alot better!

Ive also had fuel problems with it, I believe the pump cannot keep up. I installed a Stewart Warner electric fuel pressure gauge(about 2/3s less $$ than an autometer) to see what was going on. It cruises out at around 4 psi, than when you lay on it will slowly drop off to nothing till it stalls out.

Got a good line on a Holley HP 125 thats internally regulated, probably will pick one up next week.

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
Old Aug 9th, 12, 9:30 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

New fuelly pump on, got some Unions to replace the rubber splices I did last year as well. Mounted the pump just in front of the rear lower control arm. It just fits, and hangs down about 1.5" approx. I built a shield to block any debris that could possibly hit it.

Went for a test run, fuel pressure sits about 4-5 pounds pressure and will hardly move when you lay on it.

Also the motor sounds way different without that stupid flexy fan it had and the car seems much quieter overall.

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
Old Nov 28th, 12, 7:41 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

No real update, put the car away a month ago. Got new boots on the back, some 255/60/15 radial ta's. Its much nicer on the highway now, and at 3000 RPM its doin just a tad over 60 mph.

Found a photo editor on my comp so I did a couple pics up tonight. I put the spear back on/all 4 bezels earlier this summer. And of course the confederate flag:

Just a random shot from early spring:

On another note, Im highly debating on getting a Tremec 5 speed for the car. Ive pondered the idea of buying a new car with a manual, or for a big fraction of the cost put a manual in the Beaumont. Its a toss up between that or paint and body.....guess Ive got the winter to decide my plans.

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
Old Nov 30th, 12, 10:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

I got a RS 500 Keisler on my 69 it was not bad to install if you know how to dial in the bellhousing try to get the gen 2 since it has the case that bolts up to the motor well There is a good shop in Warman guys names are Todd and Dallas 955-8288 called Kroozn Metal Inc - Hamilton Ave, Warman, SK. If you want paint
Heard they were very good
Old Dec 7th, 12, 6:08 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredUp396 View Post
I got a RS 500 Keisler on my 69 it was not bad to install if you know how to dial in the bellhousing try to get the gen 2 since it has the case that bolts up to the motor well There is a good shop in Warman guys names are Todd and Dallas 955-8288 called Kroozn Metal Inc - Hamilton Ave, Warman, SK. If you want paint
Heard they were very good
Thanks

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
Old Dec 12th, 12, 9:44 PM
Tech Team
Chris

I am in the same boat and find myself seeking over drive. Debating on a gear vendors, or a 5 speed of sorts. Could always go the cheap route and up the rear tire size. Got all winter to think about it.
HP and ET not determined yet!
Old Dec 30th, 12, 11:38 AM
Tech Team
Jesse

haha yeah, I went up a tire size. It helped, but its not enough. And I'd like to hit the highway a little more with it. So I think its gonna be a tremec!

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
Old Jan 14th, 13, 8:17 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

Did some ebaying this weekend, decided on a 3858403 Bellhousing(153 tooth flywheel). Got one for $120 shipped, over half the price of a 621(11" bellhousing). Looks like its all down hill from here, cant wait for the snow to go so I can get on this thing again.

Also, picked up my disc brake kit today(MBM) and some KYB shocks for all four corners. Still have to locate control arm bushings, but Ill wait till i get it apart when the time comes.

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
Old Jan 14th, 13, 10:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Elroy

don't forget the Tremec requires you to hack up the tunnel
Old Jan 15th, 13, 7:31 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66138 View Post
don't forget the Tremec requires you to hack up the tunnel
well ...................yeah

83 K20

84 K5

DD-97 GMC SLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Specialty > Beaumonts      Current Topic: Might as well call it a build thread.....
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.