How many LS6 Convertibles? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

Old May 6th, 12, 12:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Send a message via Yahoo to 71malibu400
Default Re: How many LS6 Convertibles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPTOP L-89 LS-6 View Post
As for the claim he ordered a 396 375 HP car and it was built as a 454 LS-6 that is in fact very true . I know of and have seen original order forms from several cars that were indeed ordered as an L78 and the order was upgraded to the LS6 as they were already in the system. The dealer on one of those contacted the buyer and informed him that the engine he had ordered was cancelled and replaced with a new High performance 454 and they would absorb the cost because of they delay. Another where they charged a $100.00 more to upgrade the existing order.. I think perhaps this member might have been thinking july of 69 which by his time frame would have fallen into LS-6 introduction.
It would be interesting to see the paperwork.

Jim
The only problems I would have with it being ordered in July of 69 is the letter Dale posted clearly is dated October 30th,1969 and clearly states that the L78/L89 option is in the process of being canceled. It also states that as of the letters date dealers may now start taking orders for the LS6 option. Now two other points to throw out there are the two pilot cars (the green one built in December of 69 and the one sold through GM of Canada that was built in November of 69). So if the OP dad's car was ordered in July of 69 and took 4 months until it was delivered puts it right in the middle of these two pilot cars if not possibly built before the November pilot car. So would this not make it the first known LS6 built even before the November 69 pilot car? I'm sure there were plenty of L78 engines still in stock if not still being produced in July of 69 to fill this order for an L78 order. I would also think there would have to be some notation on the original dealer invoice to note it was upgraded to the LS6 option for warranty claims as if the protecto plate was lost there would need to be a paper work trail to let other dealers know of the upgraded option to the car. These points I bring up are only that and questions as I'm no expert on LS6 cars as Jim and a few others are. I have met Jim personally and respect Jim's advice and opinions and found his help invaluable to the restoration on my Malibu 400. So let's not get our panties in a bunch over my questioning Jim's statement as has happened to me in the past on here and I'm not going to be so nice anymore to those who do. With that said what do you all think about the points and questions I have brought up.
TC #3738
ACES #07845
Lower Bucks AACA
PACC-Pa Chevelle club
71 Malibu 400 402BB 17,600 original miles
71 GMC Sprint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 12, 2:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Thanks Joe my refference to the time line is that the car being discussed would of had to been ordered in 1969 not 70 as he stated. Thats the only time frame that would work. After 42 years some peoples memory get a little fuzzy thats why I asked to see pictures as they would have dates to validate the timing. The one car I discussed I have known most of my life the original owner is a friend and I have to see if I can get a look at the doc's again with a camera or the car . Its been hidden away for years still wearing its Original red paint and a whopping 18,000 miles on the odometer.

Jim
Owner of Super Sport Sales and Service ,www.supersportsales.net Over 30 years of restoring Chevelle's for customer's Coast to Coast. Adward winning service since 1980! Frame off's to interiors,engine compartments,trunks and more ,Details make the difference! Expert LS6 L78 L34 Prepurchase Evaluation and Muscle Car locating service 302-420-4743
Old May 6th, 12, 3:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Send a message via Yahoo to 71malibu400

Quote:
Thanks Joe my reference to the time line is that the car being discussed would of had to been ordered in 1969 not 70 as he stated. That's the only time frame that would work. After 42 years some peoples memory get a little fuzzy that's why I asked to see pictures as they would have dates to validate the timing. The one car I discussed I have known most of my life the original owner is a friend and I have to see if I can get a look at the doc's again with a camera or the car . Its been hidden away for years still wearing its Original red paint and a whopping 18,000 miles on the odometer.

Jim
Yes I agree that is a time line that would work as the 70 time line would not work in anyway. Yes it'd be interesting to know when the car you've known all your life was built. Sounds like a cool car too.
TC #3738
ACES #07845
Lower Bucks AACA
PACC-Pa Chevelle club
71 Malibu 400 402BB 17,600 original miles
71 GMC Sprint
Old May 6th, 12, 7:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Birdwell Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Birdwell

Quote:
. The one car I discussed I have known most of my life the original owner is a friend and I have to see if I can get a look at the doc's again with a camera or the car . Its been hidden away for years still wearing its Original red paint and a whopping 18,000 miles on the odometer.

Jim
Would this car have been built in Balto as a Buffalo Zone car???
00 24' Haulmark enclosed trailer
01 GMC Sierra SLE
06 Cobalt LTZ
Wanted-1976 Nova SS.
Old May 6th, 12, 10:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Haven't we beat this dead horse enough?
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction
www.mdchevelleclub.com

email: paughpa@verizon.net
Old May 6th, 12, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
Haven't we beat this dead horse enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Tag Team      Current Topic: How many LS6 Convertibles?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.