Ford AC Question - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

Old May 4th, 12, 12:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Default Ford AC Question

Hoping there's a Ford AC expert here.99 F550 is blowing the freon out of what looks like a high pressure relief valve on the hose hooked to the compressor.Thought it was a bad valve,replaced the hose,recharged,worked for a while now doing it again.Issue with the expansion valve,or something like that?Thanks
72 SS 454 El Camino W Code
Powered by 427 Oval Port 4 Speed
60',1.47, 6.69@102.42 10.53@128.1
My Showroom
Elky in Car Camera Rowin' Gears http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vMnf...layer_embedded
Wheels Up Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQuBitMOA5w
Elky Wheelstand http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...Wheelstand.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 12, 1:49 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default Re: Ford AC Question

I'm not an expert but if the metering device was blocked, then I suppose that could lead to high pressure but it seems like there should be a high pressure switch to shut the compressor off.

Also, that should mean the compressor would suck the low side down to the point that the low pressure switch would cut out.

Take a look at the compressor clutch and see if it is locked up so that it can never disengage.

I have a 97 F150 and a coworker had a 99 and we both had to replace our failed compressor clutches.

The worst government is often the most moral. One composed of cynics is often very tolerant and humane. But when fanatics are on top there is no limit to oppression.
H. L. Mencken
Old May 4th, 12, 2:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Got gauges?

A restriction on the low side will cause the low pressure control to cut off the compressor and the refrigerant to back up in the condenser (pump down) BUT it won't cause the head pressure to be that high unless the system is way overcharged.

Gold Founding Member #3
My 69 SS
My 70 Convertible
Mid America Chevelle Club #01
Old May 4th, 12, 3:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Is it a Shrader or a black nylon ball? What is your discharge pressure at operating temp idle? Why are you driving a F**d?

The big hose between the evaporator and compressor is return back to the compressor as a low pressure gas. The thinner hose from the compressor carries the high pressure gas which condenses into a high pressure liquid in the condensor. The skinny line between the condensor and the evaporator is the liquid line, which in 1999 could have the orifice tube built in or be removable depending on which plant built the truck. Which line has the fitting that leaks?
2014 Chevrolet SS 6.2 auto/ 2014 ZL1 Camaro 6.2 6 speed SC/ 2011 DurtyMaxx/ 2009 Tahoe 6.0/ 1994 Wrangler 6.0 /1981 Malibu 505/ 1978 Malibu402LSx/ 1971 Monte 496/ 1970 Chevelle454 1970 Monte 454/1968 Chevelle 496 4 speed/1965 442 400 auto.
Old May 4th, 12, 4:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Got gauges?

A restriction on the low side will cause the low pressure control to cut off the compressor and the refrigerant to back up in the condenser (pump down) BUT it won't cause the head pressure to be that high unless the system is way overcharged.
I've got gauges,but It's lost its pressure now,didn't want to waste anymore freon till I knew what was causing this.When I charged it last time,I put in the amount called for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's Auto Repair View Post
Is it a Shrader or a black nylon ball? What is your discharge pressure at operating temp idle? Why are you driving a F**d?

Believe it's a Shrader,not my truck it's my sons service truck.

The big hose between the evaporator and compressor is return back to the compressor as a low pressure gas. The thinner hose from the compressor carries the high pressure gas which condenses into a high pressure liquid in the condensor. The skinny line between the condensor and the evaporator is the liquid line, which in 1999 could have the orifice tube built in or be removable depending on which plant built the truck. Which line has the fitting that leaks?
Powered by 427 Oval Port 4 Speed
60',1.47, 6.69@102.42 10.53@128.1
My Showroom
Elky in Car Camera Rowin' Gears http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vMnf...layer_embedded
Wheels Up Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQuBitMOA5w
Elky Wheelstand http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...Wheelstand.jpg
Old May 4th, 12, 8:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Doug,
Does your truck have an engine driven fan ? or an electric fan? or an auxillary electric fan to cool the condensor.if it is an electric fan and doesn,t come on at idle it will cause the pressure relief valve to open.As the high side PSI starts to rise, without airflow past the condensor it will just continue to climb up till the pressure relief opens.This can also happen if the high side cutout switch is faulty too,but something has to cause the pressure to rise first.
Did you here any noises that sounded like a pack of firecrackers going off all at once?Thats the sound that the FWD cars would make when the pressure build up would release all at once,but some just make a loud hissing sound.
Also make sure your A/C condensor isn't plugged up with leaves or mud.Also as mentioned before check for any kinks or dents in the smaller of the 2 lines between the compressor and evaporator and either of the 2 lines leading to the condensor in front of radiator.
Old May 4th, 12, 8:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Thanks,It's my sons service truck,he's a self employed heavy equipment mechanic.I don't have the truck here,but he'll bring it over sunday and we'll check those things out.Thanks