427 Progress - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Performance Our High Performance area

Old Apr 27th, 12, 1:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jake

Default 427 Progress

After a few years of working on everyone elses hotrods I'm finally making some headway on my '69 Chevelle.

427 +.030. TRW L72 pistons. ~9.65-1 compression with 119cc chambers. OEM rods with good bolts, OEM forged crank, 2 bolt block.
This has been a reliable solid running combo in the past. I used to daily drive the car.

It's getting updated to a Cam Motion HR 236/240 110 LSA .612/.596 cam, Morel rollers, Comp Ultra Magnum rockers.

The heads came in today. Profiler 290 cc ovals (Jeg's). I'm planning to do some very minor work to clean up the ports, check the guide clearance, valve job, chamber cc, install some titanium retainers, check the springs, etc.

The intake is a Edelbrock Vic. Jr EFI with a FAST 1375 cfm throttle body. Injectors will likely be 48 lb/hr. Looking at the Holley Dominator controller so it can run the 4L80E as well.

Planning on Stainless Works headers running through the existing 3" exhaust (probably upgrade to a stainless exhaust eventually).

Overall a pretty tame driveable 427. I hope to make it run solid mid 11's through the mufflers on drag radials.

Anybody want to make suggestions on the head/intake port configuration.
I know the Profiler heads like their own intake, the Vic Jr I have is a rect port. I plan to look at them tomorrow when I get some gaskets in hand.

I know the rect port intake/ oval head combo works fine, and this is obviously not an all out combo with the baby HR cam. Is it worth doing anything to the heads or intake to help match them up, or just run with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 27th, 12, 9:16 AM
Tech Team
mike

Default Re: 427 Progress

Glad to hear that you get to work on your own project. Hope you are able to get it up and running soon and enjoy some of the summer. I have seen a set of oval port heads that had been matched to a rect intake, pretty ugly. I have never done it or played with a flow bench to see what would happen, but would think that some light radius around the port may help against some reversion? Hopefully somebody more knowledgable will chime in. I just want to see your post stay up top and not get missed, you help way to many of us. Thanks Jake
fun>>
Old Apr 27th, 12, 11:17 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Jake, not being in my range of expertise, I did nothing to attempt to port match the oval heads and old skool rectal tripower. Low speed seems fine. Thea heads dont carry much past the mid 6000 range, and it may be that port match issue or the untouched oval intakes. Nevertheless, this occurs above the range you'd likely push the HR cam anyhow.

The only thing I was tempted to do ( and I did roll the ports, more like deburr the entrace) is to cut some sort of cathedral at the top where the charge hits a wall, literally. But.... nothing is better than removing metal I cant put back.

BTW, Mr Gasket UltraSeal 5828 is the ticket.

GIT ER' DONE!!!
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Old Apr 27th, 12, 12:06 PM
Gold Member
Bill

FWIW ....... as Gene said leave it as is .........I have a 396 going back together right now with factory ovals and factory 063 rect intake & new mild HR .......it ran that way for years with 3 .73 and flat tappet cam ......no botttom end loss and improved top end ran low 12's back inthe day

Looks like a nice combo on your 427 good choice on cam spec .................dont see any reason why it wont run just over the roll bar rule ....... BTW cr 9.65 with 119cc heads .can I assume that pistons at zero deck to get that cr

Crusin / Track video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhvDGOO4JAI

Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance      Current Topic: 427 Progress
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.