1965 Atlanta ID Tag on drivers door Jam - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Tag Team De-coding cowl tags and vin numbers.

Old Apr 16th, 12, 12:23 PM
Mike

Default 1965 Atlanta ID Tag on drivers door Jam

does anyone have information or pictures of an Atlanta ID Tag located on the drivers door jam for a 1965 chevelle

i have seen a picture showing a blank space on either side of the letter A
i have seen a picture showing no blank space on either side of the letter A

when did they change from a blank space to no blank space and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 16th, 12, 3:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Default Re: 1965 Atlanta ID Tag on drivers door Jam

The tag on the drivers door jamb is the VIN tag. In 64 and 65, that is where it is.

Maybe Dale, Ethan or Mike can answer the rest of your question.
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction
www.mdchevelleclub.com
Old Apr 16th, 12, 7:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatvet View Post
does anyone have information or pictures of an Atlanta ID Tag located on the drivers door jam for a 1965 chevelle

i have seen a picture showing a blank space on either side of the letter A
i have seen a picture showing no blank space on either side of the letter A

when did they change from a blank space to no blank space and why?
Of all the VIN tags I have seen, Atlanta built and Framingham built are the only ones I have seen with a space between the numbers and the letter for the plant. If you look on Dale's site (http://www.chevellestuff.net), most of the VIN tags he has listed on his site, show spaces between the assembly plant letter, and the year of the model and sequential production number ended in '69. Though there were some that spaces between numbers only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM
For what reason they did this, I'm not sure. Maybe Dale or Mike will have some info of why they did that.

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
Old Apr 17th, 12, 12:12 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

The VIN plate was attached to the a-pillar from 64 through 67 and moved to the top of the dash in 68 so it could be seen by LEO through the windshield.

Different plants used different formats throughout the years on VIN plates. Why? Only the plant SOP would know. Since you're asking about Atlanta specifically in 1965, the format is the 6-digit division/series/model/year, followed by a blank space, the plant letter "A" and another blank space then the sequence number such as:

138375 A 123456 - See http://chevellestuff.net/1965/vin_samples.htm for some 1965 examples.

In 1965 Baltimore and Kansas City strung all 13 alphanumeric characters in one contiguous sequence such as 138375B123456 or 138375K123456.

Framingham was the same as Atlanta, such as 138375 G 123456.

Fremont was different yet. It appears that Fremont prestamped the division/series/model and when it came time to stamp the entire VIN would then add 5Z123456 making the plate look a bit odd. Often the two individual stampings were not aligned as this El Camino shows.

As for other years, there are just too many differences between years and plants to describe them all here. On my website at http://chevellestuff.net there are menu links for 1964 through 1972 with individual year links titled "Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Plate Breakdown and each of those pages describes how to read a VIN plus a link to pages with examples for that year.
TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
* I only report what I read. If they're wrong, I'm wrong.
* ChevelleStuff - Decoding info for 64-72
* 1966/1967 Chevelle Reference CD
* Chevelle Registeries
* Buildsheet Data Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Tag Team      Current Topic: 1965 Atlanta ID Tag on drivers door Jam
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.