Avenger MPFI installed!!! - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
EFI Caution: Beyond here be monsters...

Old Aug 1st, 10, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

Send a message via AIM to BowtieAaron
Default Re: Avenger MPFI installed!!!

that is awesome to hear and you never know its there!
368rwhp 383rwtq n/a with carb
12.23 @ 110 1.68 60ft
Dyno video NA
http://youtu.be/PvZ7tDVyryw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 1st, 10, 11:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mark

1970 SS396
Lewis Racing Engines (Wolfplace) 489:
634 HP @ 6000rpm
627 Lb-ft @ 4,000rpm

ProSystems SV1
Gear Vendors Overdrive
Moser 12 Bolt
Alumitech Radiator
Pypes Exhaust

Dyno
'70 Chevelle
'70 Chevelle 2
Old Aug 2nd, 10, 1:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Are your brakes as good as before?

Do you suppose that the performance boost came from the larger 1000 cfm and/or taller intake?

Doug, does the intake make a big difference in performance on MPFI? I know you run a tunnel ram and Jim's 540 is running a Domintor MPFI intake, so I guess the answer is yes, but is there a significant difference?
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Comp Custom Magnum HR 306/303 Adv dur 246/248@ .050 .680/.647-112LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ

Last edited by MarkP; Aug 2nd, 10 at 2:17 AM. Reason: Thought of more stuff.
Old Aug 2nd, 10, 7:17 AM
Team Member
Joe

That was my thoughts also. Would guess, Vince's motor is pushing 700 HP if dyno'd. Between the long runners and MPFI, the motor is now getting consistent fuel distribution along with all CFM that the motor needs. Now all he needs are some 10" rims and as much of a slick as he can get under the wheel wells.

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...2/limit/recent
Old Aug 2nd, 10, 7:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
Are your brakes as good as before?

Do you suppose that the performance boost came from the larger 1000 cfm and/or taller intake?

Doug, does the intake make a big difference in performance on MPFI? I know you run a tunnel ram and Jim's 540 is running a Domintor MPFI intake, so I guess the answer is yes, but is there a significant difference?
Thanks guys!

Mark, hard to say what makes it so much better. So far, the biggest thing I noticed was the better idle and WOT hits harder. I guess the MPFI is not waiting on air velocity like a carb does to get the metering going. The power is instantaneous...not waiting on a accelerator circuit of a carb to catch up. When you think about, when you wing open a carb, you get a gulp of air that goes down first, then the accelerator pump comes in right after. With EFI, the injector is below the plates, and the mixture hits right on time. I'm sure the 1000cfm throttle body and tall single plane are just what my 509 wants anyhow.

Keep in mind, I only drove for 10 miles. Need to get more time on in before I can come to complete conclusions. Speaking with Doug, WOT learning occurs very fast - and I beleive it b/c it felt SUPER strong right off the bat up top. Its the low rpm driving stuff that takes longer to learn. Just wanted to post my initial findings for now.
Old Aug 2nd, 10, 12:21 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN69CHV View Post
Intake can not be milled. Mounting flange is only about 1/4" thick. It's either a raised hood or a drop base air cleaner.
Not so. I milled mine 1/2". The steel plate under the TB will seal against a milled intake, even though the pad has been milled off. I used some RTV so the plate stays on the intake and then a gasket between plate and TB. I had what was left of the IAT hole TIG welded shut and put the IAT sensor in the air cleaner.

Old Aug 2nd, 10, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Zwede,

What year is your car, and what's the airfilter system consist of? I contemplated milling the intake, but I think dropping the TB down lower closer to the rails would of made things worse for my particular situation. The drop base aircleaner just makes things tough. Did you clearance the throttle arm at all? The throttle arm hit my rails with just the metal spacer/gaskets not installed.

Old Aug 2nd, 10, 12:57 PM
Team Member
Joe

That's good to know. So the mounting bolt holes were drilled and tapped deep enough? 1/2" wouod have made a big difference with both the air cleaner and the throttle linkage.

Old Aug 2nd, 10, 2:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

Stellar.

This is pushing me slowly but surely toward an EFI BB. Please keep the thread going, its invaluable to guys like me who wobble on the fence, HAVE to go with a BB and still havent built the motor yet so can go either way. I didnt want to putz with the laptop so what you are doing is PERFECTO for me to watch as well as others, I am sure.

VERY - VERY COOL
Old Aug 2nd, 10, 3:20 PM
Tech Team

The car is a '71 Corvette, so not quite apples to apples. But we share a lack of hood clearance.

I'm using an L88 air cleaner setup where the filter is in the cold air chamber attached to the hood.

I have an earlier TB where the throttle linkage was billet aluminum rather than the steel linkage you have. Yes, I did cut mine to clear the fuel rail and also the top to clear the air cleaner. The linkage had two holes, I cut it right above the first hole.

If you need pictures from other angles, just let me know.
Old Aug 2nd, 10, 7:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

Zwede, I figured you had the earlier TB with the different linkage. In all honesty though, I could of easily ground the bottom of this throttle arm off so the TB could sit lower. But in the end, just much easier to do what I did as far as modifying the air cleaner base and throttle bracket - its done.

Anyway, took her for another drive, she's running like a top. Power is just right "there" all the time. Spinning wheels at part throttle. Took the Mrs. along, and even she could tell the difference...especially at idle. It idles so smooth that if feels like its idling lower, even though the tach says 1000 rpms like it did with the carb. No hesitations, no hick-ups, nothing except razor-sharp power. I feel compelled to hit the track asap

Will do another update after a couple more drives, but cant imagine it running any better than it does already, but it will.

Good stuff people
Old Aug 2nd, 10, 7:27 PM
Team Member
Joe

Good stuff. You keep getting those bugs worked out.

Old Aug 2nd, 10, 11:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Vince, what did you end up with for a fuel system? I have a couple intakes with throttle bodies and injectors, just need to figure out a fuel system and get a harness and ECM........ Jim
Old Aug 3rd, 10, 7:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny Vince

I had run -8 Aeroquip socketless hose for the feed and a return for the prior setup. I have a bunch of reducers here and there to reduce the -8 to 3/8 barbed fittings throughout the system. The inline pump supplied by Holley, the filters, all use 3/8 barbed fittings...that's all you need for this system. Over the winter, I will get a tank sumped, and change everything to -6 socketless for a cleaner install. The -8 is just too big to route nicely through the car...it has a .75 OD IIRC, and you have two of them.
Old Aug 3rd, 10, 8:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
JIM

This all sounds familiar! When we converted mine it was on the dyno initially. We had been making dyno pulls with the carbed setup and Judson, the owner of the School of Automotive Machinists was listening through the walls up in his office as we made pulls. When we got the EFI fired up... he came back and wanted to know what we had done because he said it sounded like we had *taken 20 of cam out of it* from the way it was idling.

As soon as it cools off a little I'll be hitting the track also to get some runs in. I think it's going to be good!

Great to hear how it's working for you!

JIM

9.90@141.40

http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/m...rrent=Jim3.mp4

http://s318.photobucket.com/albums/m...rrent=Jim4.mp4

"...when it's not pointing at a wall...grab a gear!"

*This Life Stuff ain't no dress rehearsal"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Performance > EFI      Current Topic: Avenger MPFI installed!!!
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.