Bolts - Paint, Powder Coat, Stainless, or ??? - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Dec 23rd, 09, 9:10 AM
Tech Team

Default Bolts - Paint, Powder Coat, Stainless, or ???

I've read all the posts regarding re-using original bolts, stripping them, muratic acid, neutralizer, paint and bake....ughhhhhhh......

Does baking the paint work when you put a wrench to them????

When I read about black oxide, it states unless you coat them in oil, the don't provide enough corrosion protection...

Can you powder coat nuts/bolts/washers????

Seems like the only solution is Stainless????

I don't want to spend the rest of my life repainting/touching up bolts....

Many Thanks - Brad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 23rd, 09, 9:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Default Re: Bolts - Paint, Powder Coat, Stainless, or ???

20K miles ago and not always friendy weather I cabinet blasted the bolts for my car. Epoxied some, epoxied and cast blasted others. I never had to touch them up. A couple show a tad bit of rust on the edge but never got worse. I run my car. So if you don't your bolts will be fine. If you only show it for judging purposes and use Palmetto products you'll be fine. It's not like your wrenching the bolts repetitively to cause corrosion.
Old Dec 23rd, 09, 9:46 AM
Tech Team
Hugh

I am thinking of going the stainless route also. I have bought the black oxide bolt kits in the past and it is true that you need to keep them oiled or they will corrode. I have also done the blasting, etching, painting, baking scenario and it is a lot of work and is never perfect. If you are doing an all original car and wish to keep it as original as possible, I would restore the original bolts.

Another option you may have is to send your bolts to have zinc plated and then you paint them with the detail paint of your choice. There is a place in Greensboro that does plating of all sorts. I have their info somewhere, but they are on the internet listing for platers.

They also do hood hinges and boosters and just about anything.
Old Dec 23rd, 09, 9:50 AM
Team Member
Rudy

I use some of the original nuts & bolts, I clean them with Evapo-Rust if rusty or I have a vibrator that I put them in, after that I usually paint or powder coat, as for powder coating yes the heads can be done on the bolts and washers, I do not think your local powder coating shop would take the time to do bolts, nuts and washers. I do my own powder coating on small pieces, Harbor Freight has a powder coating system for not a lot of money, mine came from Eastwood's and does a nice job, but all will chip at some point in time. I do stainless as often as I can, In the areas that show I will grind the heads smooth and then polish them to a brilliant shine, it takes a little time but well worth it.
72 VW Convertible
83 GMC POW/MIA Drag Truck
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3230084
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3230123
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3231524
Old Dec 23rd, 09, 9:54 AM
Tech Team

I've sand blasted, wirewheeled, primed and painted the bolts, but when you put the wrench to them, the primer starts showing and eventually rust..... Doesn't seem to hold up; although I haven't tried baking them.

It's a frame-off 70396ragtop but will NOT be a trailer queen. Just trying to do stuff ONCE, and not redo later.... Functionality is more important than originality. I don't mind if bolts are not 100% correct as long as they don't look tacky and do the job rust-free....

I do know some plating companies in the Triad, they are expensive. Harbor Freight has the same powder coating kit for $60 that Eastwood sells for $150. You can buy an inexpensive oven to bake them; hood hinges, brackets, etc....just not sure if you can PC nuts/bolts???
Old Dec 23rd, 09, 9:58 AM
Tech Team

oldtimeparts - we must have posted at the same time...thanks....
Old Dec 23rd, 09, 10:08 AM
Team Member
Dan

If you don't mind functionality over orginality try Totally Stainless:

www.totallystainless.com
Old Dec 23rd, 09, 11:48 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Orgill View Post
If you don't mind functionality over orginality try Totally Stainless:

www.totallystainless.com

They even have a black stainless fastener for those who are trying to keep the correct look. I have bought a bunch of stuff from these guys, and they are good guys. Start buying the large, high-strength bolts from them, and you can get into some real money! I did a 65 and a 59 Corvette with 100% polished stainless bolts, and ended up with over $1000 in bolts on these 2 cars.

Regards, John McGraw
Old Dec 23rd, 09, 1:33 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Just buy the bolt kits appropriate for your car. They are freshly painted, brand new bolts with the correct markings and are quality made. Sure makes life a lot eaiser! I used engine, chassis, engine compartment and interior kits on my latest project and I'm really glad I did.
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
1965 Malibu SS L79 Restoration Page
1965 Two-Door Wagon Project Progress Page
2006 Pontiac GTO Preservation Project
Rich Cummings
Old Dec 23rd, 09, 3:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I bought the Stainless kit for my 66. They still look brand new after 4 years in all kinds of weather.
Sean Chester Springs PA ACES #2065 TC#2810 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2257408 SOLD
Racing Legends Cars
Old Dec 23rd, 09, 3:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Just buy the bolt kits appropriate for your car. They are freshly painted, brand new bolts with the correct markings and are quality made. Sure makes life a lot eaiser! I used engine, chassis, engine compartment and interior kits on my latest project and I'm really glad I did.
Yea Rich that's great now but 20 years ago I had to do it the painstaking way. Fortunately they held up. Now I just buy them as you state.
Old Dec 23rd, 09, 9:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

About 15+ years ago I restored a 64 Chevy 1/2 ton shorty, Fleetside, Big window and every bolt that was visible (dooe hinges, latches, all the inner fender blots, hood hinges, radiator support - Right down to the screws on the heater box and interior panels - I got them from here http://www.gardner-westcott.com/automotive_bolts.htm - You can order 1 or 100 - I used all stainless and it looked great, Not cheap but when I was done I was happy I spent the extra money.

LK

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...7/DSCF9178.jpg

70 (SOLD)
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/DSCF9111.jpg

Sea Ray
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/DSCF6826.jpg
Old Dec 24th, 09, 10:18 AM
Tech Team

I went to a local fastener place (Southern Fasteners) to see what stainless looked like. I always thought they were shiny like chrome but much to my surprise they look just like steel (low lust). That settled the dilema, stainless it is....

After all, I've already wasted far too much time soaking, wiring cleaning, sand blasting, priming and painting all for it to come off during tightening.... Ughhhhhh......

I'm actually replacing many of the bolts I've stripped and painted, knowing they'll start chipping, rusting, etc....

WOW, Stainless looks really nice and not too shiny like chrome...

Take care guys,,,,see you at the next Chevellabration.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: Bolts - Paint, Powder Coat, Stainless, or ???
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.