66 Powerglide slipping - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

Old Oct 21st, 07, 8:47 PM
Tech Team
Jed

Default 66 Powerglide slipping

My Powerglide has been rebuilt by someone knowledgeable with PG's and everything was OK for a while (like probably the first 50 miles). I don't drive the car very often. Lately when I take it for a ride, as the trans is shifting, the engine revs up as it shifts. Any ideas what causes that? I checked the fluid level, and it is good. I don't know how to adjust the linkage from the carb - I tried to set it up the same as before the rebuild.
I could try to call the guy who did the rebuild (it was 5 or 6 years ago now), but I wanted to try here first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 21st, 07, 9:53 PM
Team Member

Smile Re: 66 Powerglide slipping

If its slipping going from lo to highe gear(1st to 2nd) there is a trick that will make it shift without partial slipage or a complete neutral wehn going from low to high gear.

Your supposed to put a certain length(1"-2") of very sml diameter copper tubing into i believe the modualtor that either changes the vacuum signal on that or the sml copper tubing is installed somewhere that changes the pump pressure. But it cant be too nvolved becaiuse it only took like 15 ins to do once the car was on the lift.

It's been so many yrs i plain forgot trhe detials but i know it work because i had seen it done on customers cars at a trans shop in lat 60's early 70's . Heck,they did it to my 64 impala with 283 & glide that had approx 70k on it when they did it and had 125k on it when i sold it and trans was still fine.

So ask the trans guy about that trick if he is old enough to know about it but i have to say a new/fresh completely rblt glide should not be acting like that.

There are some auto trans techs here in t/chevelle that can likely expand on this,i just plain forgot the details,been too many yrs.

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
2002 MAXIMA (DAILY DRIVER/1 owner,GOT 3/2013 w-44k miles)
Old Oct 21st, 07, 10:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

Default Re: 66 Powerglide slipping

My 1967 Impala wagon did that with a 327/glide combo. I was told you can adjust something in the trans to make the shift from slipping. Probably the same thing that SWHEATON is talking about.
Old Oct 21st, 07, 10:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug Davis

Your powerglide has a bolt on the side that is a clutch band adjuster. I don't remember the setting, but you should be able to find it easily in an old Chilton manual. This'll probably fix your problem.
12 Bolt Eaton Posi w/3:73's
Team Chevelle Member # 3540
Old Oct 22nd, 07, 9:43 AM
Team Member

When i saw the tweak done yrs back to stop the slip or in some cases a complete neutral when shifting from low to high in the glides it definately was not a band adj that fixed it in that case.

I saw them cut a short piece of very sml diameter copper tuding and insert it into the modulator or something that looked like it and that took care of it,didnttake long to do at all.

It either changed the vacuum signal for modulator or whatever they did increased the internal fluid or pump pressure somehow to eliminate that issue many experienced .

Scott
1969 CHEVELLE SS396,ORIGINAL #'S MATCH,GOT IN 1978,(In 2001 rblt/bored original 396 .030 to 402)/M20/12BOLT/3:31'S
2006 YAMAHA 1700 ROADSTAR SILVERADO (1 owner ,GOT in 2009,4,700 miles/WK end fun)
1977 KAWASAKI KZ1000 (AM ORIGINAL OWNER ,GOT IN 1977,NOW has 29k miles/WK end fun)
Old Nov 4th, 08, 1:48 PM
Tech Team
Jed

Thought I'd revisit this post since I never fixed this problem. I noticed while driving this morning that if I accelerate slowly, with little pressure on the gas pedal, the shifting is smooth. But a little heavier on the gas, and the engine revs as the trans shifts.

Any new ideas on how to fix?
Old Nov 4th, 08, 1:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Modulaters Are Cheap.
Old Nov 5th, 08, 7:50 PM
Team Member

Jed,again,its the same problem as was stated earlier,it slips more between low and high gear with more gas due to more load on the trans at that time.

Its a very common issue with the glides,my father had a car lot in the 50s-early 80s and 7 or 10 glides did it and would last over 100k doing it too.

But a good shop that knows glides should fix be able to tweak it to get rid of the sloppy low to high shift .

For now untill you get it fixed use a normal to considerable mount of gas when getting going from a stop but then about when you would like it to shift back off the gas approx 1"-1.5" to remove a little power to let it shift . Doing that helps it to ont slip & slide as much when shifting from low tohi gears ,then righ after it shifts into hi gear simply reapply that 1" -1.5" of gas you had backed off untill your up to your desired cruise speed.

But no matter what the problem is (adjustment/modualtor-etc) take it back to the builder,thats the right way to get it corrected so he doesnt blame anyone else for messing it up if there are any issues down the road with the trans leaving you holding the bag.

Scott
Old Nov 5th, 08, 10:22 PM
Tech Team
Jed

Thanks, Swheaton. I'll try to call the guy who rebuilt the trans.
Old Nov 14th, 09, 2:43 PM
Tech Team
Jed

I was finally able to leave the car with the guy who did the trans rebuild. He discovered that the modulator was damaged, bent a little or something. He replaced it for $100 and the shifting is perfect now. He had helped me previously adjust the linkages and get the shift timing right and hadn't charged me anything at that time. So all's well that ends well.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Transmission & Driveline      Current Topic: 66 Powerglide slipping
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.