brake cleaner warning - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

Old Jul 26th, 09, 10:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Default Re: brake cleaner warning

I will be sharing this with people at work and people I know outside of work.
Advertisement

Old Jul 27th, 09, 5:32 AM
Tom

Send a message via AIM to Hot66ss

Going to leave this as a sticky for a while so everyone gets a chance to read it!

21st Century Performance
(310) 425-8700

67 Velle- AFR headed 509/4L80 Pro-Touring.
68 Vette, Documented 427/435hp Tri Power, 4 speed- Sold
70 SS LS6/M22 Documented, black/white stripes- Sold
71 Elco SS 396/th400/12 bolt posi
01 Mustang Saleen, Convert. Stroked & Blown. 490RWHP/522RWTQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Aug 6th, 09, 11:37 AM
Team Member
chris

Pretty scary stuff. I know I don't protect myself enough, but I will start being more aware of it. I hope that guy in the story makes a good recovery.
Old Aug 6th, 09, 12:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kris

Yes that brake clean is harsh stuff. I have seen guys clean their hands with it.

It can also be used to kill insects pretty quickly. Sometimes, I have some moths flying around my garage and a quick spray of brake clean kills them in 30 seconds...I know now brake clean&welding/flame doesn't mix.

Sept 17 2011 Napierville Dragway
60 foot 1.607
330 ft et 4.812
1/8 mile time 7.557
1/8 mph 88.89
1/4 mile et 12.017
1/4 mile mph 109.09

Launch video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2qQX4TDTVU
IN-CAR dragstrip run Sept 17 2011@Napierville
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzQXrm6jvdU

Monte dragstrip run 12.8 Sept 21 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPu0JXbcz0
Old Aug 13th, 09, 12:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwin1592 View Post
Here's some interesting facts: Fosgene gas is what they called "mustard gas" used by the Japanese in WW2. It caused many soldiers permanent lung damage. A friend of mine's father never could work due to lung damage from it. Also, freon (R-22) if burned becomes fosgene. That's why refrigeration and HVAC guys are taught never to smoke when working with freon and to work in a well ventilated area or with outside air masks when brazing around freon. WE all take this stuff too lightly until something happens! Be careful!!
Phosgene Gas is NOT Mustard Gas. Mustard Gas is a Blister Agent, while Phosgene is a lung irritant (and toxic). Phosgene was first and largely used during WWI. Although many gases were stockpiled during WWII, very little was ever used. The Japanese used Phosgene and Lewisite in China in a very limited capacity in the late 1930's and into 1941.

Last edited by SixActual; Aug 13th, 09 at 12:36 PM.
Old Aug 17th, 09, 7:48 AM
Tech Team

make sure that the air suply doesnot have an oiler on it ,for some tools,needs good filter, caused a man at work to have a stroke,when he hook up to wrong air line.......
Old Aug 30th, 09, 9:58 AM
Team Member
Paul

I work for a municipality and was doing a brake job on a sander truck. It had a leaking wheel seal and I used non-flammable brake cleaner to clean the oil from the brake drum. I was being impatient and couldn't wait for the brake cleaner to dry up. I lit the welding torch and warmed the brake drum to speed up the drying time. WELL I felt like I was suffocating, just like there was no air to breath! I quickly put out the torch and went outside. I didn't suffer any damage and was fine a few minutes later. It was a scary episode and now I read the labels when using any chemicals, even spray paint.

Paul
Old Sep 23rd, 09, 5:20 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to psi3000

Would a normal $20 respirator prevent the gas from entering into the lungs or no? Just wondering if we need to be cautious about things even with a respirator on.
Old Oct 8th, 09, 10:07 AM
Team Member

M.S.D.S. MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEETS!!! anytime you have any suspision of a chemical or considering hiring a contractor to do work around house (wood renew, landscaping,etc) ask the contractor or contact the company where chemical is made and ask for M.S.D.S. sheets by Law the company must provide them. With the internet its even easier because you can go directly to companys web site and get info. The M.S.D.S. contains all chemicals in product , the safety warnings, what harmful side effects that could effect you and how to treat immediate exposure. The guy in article posted about brake kleen should have gone directly to hospital and told ER staff what he was exposed to.Another warning about brake kleen ALLWAYS wear safety glass's and a mask. It only takes a minute to get hurt but it also only takes you a minute to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > General Tech Area > Body Shop      Current Topic: brake cleaner warning
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.