Front End Suspension, Moog, Master Pro, PST which one? - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Chevelle Tech join team chevelle as a supporting member  
Chevelle Parts at SS396.com      
GROUND UP & SS396.com         
Official Sponsor of Team Chevelle

Auto Insurance

Chevelles.com is the premier Chevrolet Chevelle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Old Aug 26th, 09, 10:59 AM
PST

Default Re: Front End Suspension, Moog, Master Pro, PST which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
i can't say the same for the PST kit that my cousin got for his 69 Camaro- the bushings all fit nicely, but the balljoints and tie rods (you know, the really important stuff) didn't fit right...he is ordering all new Moog balljoints and tie rod ends before he finishes the car up.
That is very strange. I just pulled the info on our 69 Camaro Front End Kit and confirmed that the ball joints and tie rods are all Moog parts.

Did he speak to customer service when he had the problem?
(800) 247-2288
Mention code CK09F for a 10% discount!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 26th, 09, 1:08 PM
Banned

When I called some of the RESTO company's, even the ones who claim to use some Moog....They said it was a combo, of some Moog parts, some Import...So I guess an individual can roll the dice and see what the company sends them.... I just went all moog and was done with it....... Dont want to play with my 598LBS of torque.......
Thanks Rizzo for the info on part #'s

P.S. for the guys having problems finding the moog centerlink they are plentyful here in Houston/Spring Rock Auto has em too........ I think RockAuto is the cheapest $67.......
XL Parts: $99
Oreilly's: $85.99
Old Aug 26th, 09, 1:44 PM
Tech Team
Bob

"Rizzi" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old Aug 26th, 09, 6:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Send a message via Skype™ to TD509EFI

What about NAPA's "Precision Engineered" line? I see that their tie rods and center link are made and assembled in the U.S.A., but their lower ball joints only mentioned that they're assembled in the U.S.A. They look to be of good quality.

John
Old Aug 26th, 09, 6:22 PM
Tech Team
Bob

All very simple : Moog Ball JOINT NEW DESIGN SAY MOOG ON HD BOOT /PROBLEM SOLVER ON BALL JOINT. BOB RIZZI/RIZZI'S AUTO PARTS

K5103/K5108
Old Sep 10th, 09, 8:19 PM
Tech Team
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever young View Post
i have read some of these posts. One thing everyone needs to keep in mind, you get what you pay for. There are 2 very critical parts to any car before anything else, you have to be able to steer it, and then stop it. My point is no matter how fast you go, it means nothing if you cannot steer you car and stop it. The parts you put in are essential. American made parts are far superior to the chinese crap that has invaded all of our markets. I am in utility construction, have been quality control and quality assurance, have done failure analysis and metal fatigue. Most failutres occur with metals through inferior products that never had quality controls, just make them look identical, hence imported cheap chinese junk. Look at all of your cam failures, junk metal,. The same is true about balljoints, bearings, brakes, tie rod ends, etc. Etc. I am doing over a 70ss frame off, very slowly because of costs. Nothing but mooge is going in my car. Nothing but american made bolting and fasteners are being used. Buy a grade 8 bolt at the hardware store and an arp grade 8 bolt, torque the 2 at equal ft.lbs. And watch the hardware store chinese bolt snap off at 60% of torque value. Take a step back and ask yourself, what your life is worth, saving 20% on a part? Take bob rizzi's advice and use mooge and go for a little more and have some self assurance that your car will go where it is supposed to and stop when you step on the brakes. Safety is everything.

Roland in ny
A New York guy who knows what he is talking about, an old military saying : "no other way but the right way" BOB RIZZI
Old Sep 26th, 09, 12:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Stu

Quote:
I have read some of these posts. One thing everyone needs to keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

Roland in NY
That is what people who overpay for something say to make themselves feel better.
Using price to judge quality is like using size to judge weight. Sure there is typically some relationship but not always. And all it takes for something to be marketed as 'made in USA' is having 'all or nearly all' of it be made here, and that is a very subjective thing.
People pay more for a name brand whether the quality is there or not, take Monster cable for example, and Bose as another. An objective person can find far better equipment that performs better than both for less money, but the 'more is better' person will stick with their name brand simply because it makes them feel good. Paying more means it must be better, right? No.
I'm not saying Moog isn't a quality product, but the whole 'get what you pay for' thing is ignorant logic at it's worst. Realistically, think about what we are dealing with: some metal and rubber. There is no magic to it. It's not complex stuff. Do you really think there is a good reason Moog's products cost more (other than the likely limited use of domestic labor)? Doubt it. In today's world there is no reason the exact same quality product could not be made and marketed for less.
Old Sep 26th, 09, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
That is what people who overpay for something say to make themselves feel better.
Using price to judge quality is like using size to judge weight. Sure there is typically some relationship but not always. And all it takes for something to be marketed as 'made in USA' is having 'all or nearly all' of it be made here, and that is a very subjective thing.
People pay more for a name brand whether the quality is there or not, take Monster cable for example, and Bose as another. An objective person can find far better equipment that performs better than both for less money, but the 'more is better' person will stick with their name brand simply because it makes them feel good. Paying more means it must be better, right? No.
I'm not saying Moog isn't a quality product, but the whole 'get what you pay for' thing is ignorant logic at it's worst. Realistically, think about what we are dealing with: some metal and rubber. There is no magic to it. It's not complex stuff. Do you really think there is a good reason Moog's products cost more (other than the likely limited use of domestic labor)? Doubt it. In today's world there is no reason the exact same quality product could not be made and marketed for less.
Actually there is some magic to it and it is not as simple as you think. Granted ball joints, tie rods and springs are not complex. However, inferior metal alloys and poor metal quality is where some discount parts save costs. I am a firm believer in buying parts from a manufacturer that will guarantee them. That is usually my deciding factor when picking a price.

"And they don't really know even what they're talkin' about and I can't imagine what empty heads can achieve" - Ozzy Osbourne

'66 SS clone - 454 / TH 400, 3.42 12 bolt, 4 wheel discs, UMI Performance rear upper & lower arms sway bars, Headman elites w/2.5'" stainless Magnaflow exh

2012 Challenger RT Classic - Blue Streak Pearl, 5.7L Hemi, 6-Speed Tremec
Old Sep 26th, 09, 7:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Roland

Send a message via AIM to forever young

You must have had your air supply cut off for a long time to make statemants like this. If you have ever worked with metals in todays market place, you will find that cheap Chinese mass produced inferior soft metal will not and cannot hold up under stresses caused by heat, vibrations and corrosive elements introduced into the metals that are surrounding your body in that automobile. If you want CHEAP CHINESE MEATAL, PLEASE BUY IT AND DRIVE IT AND GAMBLE YOUR LIFE ON IT, I won't. I shop for the best deal with KNOWN QUALITY PRODUCTS when it pertains to me. I am not a metalurgist but I have done failure analysis on bolting. Chinese metal have no QA /QC program for their metals and grades / bolting. More expensive American made metals do.................YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.........And I do have Bose and it is a superior sound to anything else that I have.
Old Sep 26th, 09, 7:45 PM
Tech Team
Bob

REF CHUCKD71 /ROLAND, AMEN. OLD Italian saying : "you better know what you are talking about before you open your mouth" you are right right on the money safety,quality and name brand parts that is what it is all about.I have been around Chevelles since 1965 owned and raced one of the fastest Chevelles in the area in the 1960's and 1970's . SOME Metal AND RUBBER....... HOLD A PRODUCT MADE BY MOOG IN YOUR HAND, FEEL THE WEIGHT CHECK OUT THE HD RUBBER BOOT. PUT SOME NO NAME AGAINST IT , WOULD YOU PUT IT IN YOUR CAR ,RISK DAMAGE OR PERSONNAL INJURY TO YOU OR YOUR FAMILY I DO NOT THINK SO.YOU ARE RIGHT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!!!!!!! BOB RIZZI
Old Sep 26th, 09, 10:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
thomas

Rizzi, is right! Moog or Dana only. We will not cut corners on the interior or paint. But, when it comes to brakes and suspension, everyone is looking to save a dime. How important is a fast or pretty car, if you can not stop or turn when you have to, nothing else matters. Thomas
Old Sep 27th, 09, 9:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

Anyone know about Mechanics Choice parts at AutoValue? I looked up rear control arm bushings on their website.
Moog bushings, part # K5161, $41.29 for 2.
Mechanics Choice, part # K5161, $32.69 for 2, manufacturer Moog.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old Sep 27th, 09, 9:56 AM
Tech Team
Bob

Is it in a MOOG BOX ? @$32.69 OR PRIVATE LABEL ? IF IT IS MOOG IT SHOULD BE A HARRIS BUSHING "TOP QUALITY " RUBBER . REMEMBER THAT IS 1 BOX PER ARM . BOB RIZZI
Old Sep 27th, 09, 10:01 AM
Tech Team
Bob

Quote:
You must have had your air supply cut off for a long time to make statemants like this. If you have ever worked with metals in todays market place, you will find that cheap Chinese mass produced inferior soft metal will not and cannot hold up under stresses caused by heat, vibrations and corrosive elements introduced into the metals that are surrounding your body in that automobile. If you want CHEAP CHINESE MEATAL, PLEASE BUY IT AND DRIVE IT AND GAMBLE YOUR LIFE ON IT, I won't. I shop for the best deal with KNOWN QUALITY PRODUCTS when it pertains to me. I am not a metalurgist but I have done failure analysis on bolting. Chinese metal have no QA /QC program for their metals and grades / bolting. More expensive American made metals do.................YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.........And I do have Bose and it is a superior sound to anything else that I have.

ROLAND,Check out post on rear control arm bushings MOOG k5161 rear bushings @ $41.29 a box/ 2 bushings = 1 arm. Bob Rizzi
Old Sep 27th, 09, 11:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzi427 View Post
Is it in a MOOG BOX ? @$32.69 OR PRIVATE LABEL ? IF IT IS MOOG IT SHOULD BE A HARRIS BUSHING "TOP QUALITY " RUBBER . REMEMBER THAT IS 1 BOX PER ARM . BOB RIZZI
Don't know about the box. I was just looking online because I need to replace the bushings this winter. One box per arm, yes I was assuming that, 2 bushings, since that's what the pic shows. In fact they have the same pic and info for both bushings.

Not a big deal, I only need to replace the uppers so the difference is only $17.20 for 2 sets. I'll get the Moog if there's a difference, just wondering if anyone knew.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevelle Tech > Mechanical > Brakes, Suspension & Steering      Current Topic: Front End Suspension, Moog, Master Pro, PST which one?
Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.